Saturday, August 12, 2006

I don't want to alarm you, but I'm wearing a jeans jacket right now.

I think of bikes the way I think of relationships.

A year after buying my old bike used, I decided to replace the treaded mountain bike tires with smooth road tires. It was an ordeal. It was three hours spent in front of the Shoreland with a flathead screwdriver and a spoon trying to pry the tires off and then on, featuring a cameo by this really nice lesbian couple who helped me out and made a valiant effort to mask their plain amusement with me (and my spoon). But after the time and work was spent, I figured that it meant that this bike and I were in it for a long-term relationship. Replacing the tires is an act of devotion. I replaced them because I loved the bike. The bike loved me for giving it new tires.

I don't know how to fit the theft of this bike into a relationship metaphor. I guess you could say it was like my girlfriend was kidnapped, then assumed dead. So I decided to get a new girlfriend... off Craigslist...

The point is that this new Raleigh M55 and I, it's not working out. It's been a fling. But not even a fling. A relationship born out of neccessity. It's a rebound bike.

So I'm going to make a trip to Working Bikes today. Just don't tell my new Raleigh M55. It won't understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home