Monday, July 03, 2006

This one Godlike crack of thunder woke me up so violently last night that it induced a mild nauseau in me.

Hannah and Ben and Will and I went to the Goodman Theatre prop sale a few weekends ago, where we acquired a fake log from the set of Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit.



The log is over six feet tall and its girth is considerable (it weighs virtually nothing). It seems they've been trying to sell it ever since the play closed in 2001, so it cost us only $10. The Goodman lady was so ecstatic she was on the phone with someone at the theater narrating our purchase. "Yes, yes, they're trying to fit it in their car right now. It's hilarious! I can't believe it! No, I haven't been drinking!" She also thought we were a theater company; why we felt the need to tell her otherwise, I don't know. But if that theater company ever gets off the ground, it is certainly going to be named something like the Log Theater Company, or probably The Logarhythms. Anyway, The Visit Log now rests in our living room, where it's probably the most comfortable and cleanest piece of furniture we own.

Last week at SDW we had the kids sit in a circle and tell a story together one word at a time:

At summer camp people like fishing and Jill cleans the cabins for children. The cabins that children sleep in are mangy and dirty. Stupid kids leave toys, laundry, and swimsuits everywhere and also Jill left because her boyfriend dumped her off the tamale.

They did a better one about a guy named Bob who built sheep, and one I really loved about a group of insurance salesman who go to an amusement park, but I didn't get to write either of them down.

We premiered the Off-Off Campus summer season on Friday.



There hasn't been a summer season in any of the recent years that we can remember, so we've been really creating something out of nothing: namely a summer audience, which is virtually non-existent. We were told by University Theater, our parent organization, that if we didn't sell enough tickets to pay our rent on the first two shows, we wouldn't be allowed to mount the entire season we wanted. They were highly skeptical that we would get any kind of audience at all. So last week's rehearsals had a very Muppet Show "saving the theater" vibe to it. The result, however, was that we ended up making enough money to pay for two nights of shows and then some. I'm just about to go and march the cash box to their office right now, which might be the highlight of my week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

This is all very, very cool.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Penny Science said...

you took the words right out of my mouth Daniel.... Drew, I'm jealous. Best of luck to you :)

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I'm nearly certain that the Logarhythms are an a cappella group from MIT. Not to be a negative Nancy.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home