Monday, December 19, 2005

Nothing to say here, really. I'm restless here in Ohio. I haven't left the house in two days except for a trip to LaRosa's Pizza to pick up the order they screwed up tonight (I figure there's no good reason to leave the house here unless it's to see King Kong, which ain't gonna happen with this family). All weekend my dad was recovering from a hernia surgery. Everyone kept telling him before the surgery that he was going to be in such excruciating pain after the operation that he would be unable to return to work until a week to ten days. For my dad, though, his work provides more relief than any painkiller could, and the morning following the surgery he was already awake before me making business calls in bed. But now that he's back to work today, my mom has come down with a head cold, just in time for my grandparents to drive in tomorrow from Illinois.

The DVD version of The 40 Year-Old Virgin, full of deleted scenes, is just way too long. The first cut, though I love it, was pushing the clock as it was.

Would someone like to explain to me:
-The NY Transit Crisis?
-The new Kadima Party in Israel?
-Who the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is, and why I am expected annually to respect their opinion?

Rebecca Jarvis gets back-stabbed on the Apprentice and Ahmad Chalabi falls short in the Iraqi elections. The connection? Both UChicago alumni gettin' it in the ass (the latter a PhD student in Mathematics). Although Chalabi's failure may be seen as a good thing to some people (who also run this charming website).

Off-Off Campus however? Ego is still running on fumes, thanks to a review here written about the Brandeis University show.

I missed another improv rehearsal at the Playground on Saturday, being out of Chicago and all. Once this year is over, I'll have missed 3 out of my first 4 rehearsals in this program. I feel like a putz telling them, "sorry...3-week Christmas break!" I'm worried that I'm going to be a stranger to the rest of the ensemble (I already feel like the lame outsider, being the very youngest and the only one living on the South Side), and yet our first performance is expected in February. My nerves can't even begin to grapple with that at the moment.

Philip Roth is calling me to bed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

What is to explain about the new party in Israel? Israel has new parties all the time. These are the joys and instabilities of parliamentary democracy which we do not have to suffer.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

So it's not as big a deal as I thought it was? I thought it had been just Labor and Likud from way-back.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

Um, only starting from Begin's election, I think. Before that, Mapai dominated for like 20 years, and it became Labor. It's long and complicated. Wikipedia has even produced a list for your reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Israel

1:12 PM  
Blogger D said...

I like that the Off-Off rep is one of eschewing fucking dirty ass bullshit humor (see what I did there?). Also, return my flippin' phone calls! We can go see King Kong! I can show you the world! Shining, shimmering, splendid!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

Dave: You've been calling me? My phone barely gets service in Cincinnati. My grandparents will be here this week, but what are you doing Thursday? Anyway, I'll call.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just in New York interviewing for Merrill Lynch the day the strike was *supposed* to start (thank God it didn't). There's not much to explain I guess...a 3 year contract providing certain wages, raises, benefits, pension plans, etc was set to expire last Thursday at midnight and the Transit Workers' Union wasn't happy about it. A strike cripples city transit (nearly all busses/subways stop) since so many people commute to and within Manhattan, and officials estimated it would cost the city somewhere around/over $440 million a day in lost productivity. I probably didn't answer anything you couldn't google, but maybe it helps.

Let me know when you're in town btw.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home