It's 9:30 and I'm watching The Dark Crystal, one of (abroad-in-Rome) roommate Sarah's VHS tapes, but really I'm going to bed very soon. Why? Because I have to get up again at in 5.5 hours to make a 6am flight at O'Hare for the Brandeis Sketch Festival we're attending this weekend. We're all a little bit mad for signing up for this when a) the flights are not low-priced, b) final exams start monday, and c) we will only be performing for exactly 20 minutes. For my part, I felt the need to do some sort of impulsive "aaahh-I'm-in-college" type thing. As I've mentioned before, being in the mid-life crisis stage of college has caused me to do things comprable to buying a sporty new car or seducing my kids' friends.
Actually, I've been feeling really domestic lately; by this I mean I've been thinking less of what kind of career I want and more about family (it probably has a lot to do with Christmas and muppets and other seasonal contingencies). Right now, I think it would feel good just to have a job I wouldn't have to worry about too much and get on with the enjoying my free time. If I followed this desire to its logical conclusion, it would probably mean I'd become a cable guy with a really good DVD collection and an apartment in Schaumburg, so maybe I shouldn't get too comfortable.
I spent Thanksgiving in Cincinnati, where our new home is. Because there's nobody else there (besides Dave, who I promise to call next time), I spent most of the break re-reading old Calvin & Hobbes anthologies. I was thinking about what I'd do with that enormous set of hardcover books they're selling now that include every Calvin & Hobbes strip, and I decided that they would probably just sit on my shelf gathering dust like my Norton Anthology of Poetry, my Chicago Manual of Style, and my Plato: The Complete Works (sadly). I'll stick with my paperback copies, which still show the pencil smudges from when I used to trace the characters on sheets of notebook paper to teach myself drawing. Because my nostalgia is better than your attempt to profit from a recycled product.
I'm directing a small Off-Off show next quarter. It's an improv show based on the old Nickelodeon show Are You Afraid of the Dark. I'm calling it The Spooky Good Improv Hour. It will completely rock.
Actually, I've been feeling really domestic lately; by this I mean I've been thinking less of what kind of career I want and more about family (it probably has a lot to do with Christmas and muppets and other seasonal contingencies). Right now, I think it would feel good just to have a job I wouldn't have to worry about too much and get on with the enjoying my free time. If I followed this desire to its logical conclusion, it would probably mean I'd become a cable guy with a really good DVD collection and an apartment in Schaumburg, so maybe I shouldn't get too comfortable.
I spent Thanksgiving in Cincinnati, where our new home is. Because there's nobody else there (besides Dave, who I promise to call next time), I spent most of the break re-reading old Calvin & Hobbes anthologies. I was thinking about what I'd do with that enormous set of hardcover books they're selling now that include every Calvin & Hobbes strip, and I decided that they would probably just sit on my shelf gathering dust like my Norton Anthology of Poetry, my Chicago Manual of Style, and my Plato: The Complete Works (sadly). I'll stick with my paperback copies, which still show the pencil smudges from when I used to trace the characters on sheets of notebook paper to teach myself drawing. Because my nostalgia is better than your attempt to profit from a recycled product.
I'm directing a small Off-Off show next quarter. It's an improv show based on the old Nickelodeon show Are You Afraid of the Dark. I'm calling it The Spooky Good Improv Hour. It will completely rock.

2 Comments:
The Dark Crystal really spoke to me in one particular period of my life. It was a strange period, when I used to battle trees with a long stick.
There are no apartments in Schaumburg. Get a new life plan.
Post a Comment
<< Home