Get a Grippe
In a weird coincidence with Daniel, I got wretchedly sick two nights ago on Christmas. One minute I was paging through my new 23-pound Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the only Christmas gift that my dad couldn't lift even to place it under the tree due to his recent hernia surgery), the next I found myself curled around the toilet, where I would remain for the next 5-6 hours. I don't think I've ever felt so miserable in my life, but worse than the pain is the transformation to feeling like I'm about nine years old again. This happens to me whenever I get sick, and I wonder if anyone else is rendered as helpless as I am. It freaks me out a little, because at this point I feel like I'm an adult or just on the cusp of assuming the full responsibilities, and I believe that if I had to suddenly make it on my own right now, I could probably get along well and look OK doing it. But then all of a sudden, WHAP, a little raw salmon completely takes that self-assurance all the way down. Now I wonder what will happen when I eventually get this sick at school or when I'm living alone in an apartment in the city. That feels like the next big milestone for me: curled up on a bathroom floor in the middle of the night, loaded with stomach virus, wondering if I'm dead yet, and 1,000 miles away from my family.
Anyhow, besides the blow to self-confidence, that was about 24 good hours stripped from my winter break due to sickness. As the Calvin and Hobbes strip argues, doesn't the Constitution say that I get to start school a day later?
In a weird coincidence with Daniel, I got wretchedly sick two nights ago on Christmas. One minute I was paging through my new 23-pound Complete Calvin and Hobbes (the only Christmas gift that my dad couldn't lift even to place it under the tree due to his recent hernia surgery), the next I found myself curled around the toilet, where I would remain for the next 5-6 hours. I don't think I've ever felt so miserable in my life, but worse than the pain is the transformation to feeling like I'm about nine years old again. This happens to me whenever I get sick, and I wonder if anyone else is rendered as helpless as I am. It freaks me out a little, because at this point I feel like I'm an adult or just on the cusp of assuming the full responsibilities, and I believe that if I had to suddenly make it on my own right now, I could probably get along well and look OK doing it. But then all of a sudden, WHAP, a little raw salmon completely takes that self-assurance all the way down. Now I wonder what will happen when I eventually get this sick at school or when I'm living alone in an apartment in the city. That feels like the next big milestone for me: curled up on a bathroom floor in the middle of the night, loaded with stomach virus, wondering if I'm dead yet, and 1,000 miles away from my family.
Anyhow, besides the blow to self-confidence, that was about 24 good hours stripped from my winter break due to sickness. As the Calvin and Hobbes strip argues, doesn't the Constitution say that I get to start school a day later?

2 Comments:
i'm glad you got the calvin and hobbes book, but i am not glad that your phone does not work in cincy. call me and/or provide me with your home phone # so i can figure out when the hell you're getting down here.
ps you could always resort to drinking to get a head start on that feeling you're dreading.
Yeah you get used to it pretty quickly.
Post a Comment
<< Home