Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bromance. A bankrupt airline. Three inches of snow. The Harvard Christmas Tree. Sleeping on cold hard carpet. Ex-girlfriends. Unicorns. Facebook friends. French Toast. Reform judaism.

Those topics are the best I can cobble together to describe our weekend at Brandeis University. Oh, wait, one more. ONLY FUCKING STANDING OVATION OF THE ENTIRE WEEKEND.

However, any inflated ego I got from this trip could not prepare me for the 36 "Danger Hours" that started immediately upon our return, in which I had two 10+ page papers due plus a French exam (for which, in the end, I spent about two minutes studying for, specifically between the time I got to the examination room and when they passed out the final). This was paired by some weird sort of gastrocombustive illness I seemed to have picked up after coming back. Monday night I was literally typing one word at a time of my Hamlet/Macbeth paper while fighting back terrible abdominal pain. But everything was handed in on time, and moreover, I actually kind of believe the theses I put forth in my two papers. As for French, I've already been handed my admirable B+, with almost no help from any of the "Activites de Votre Choix" that the department demands that we do (extra-curricular French movies and conversations which I refuse to make time for).

At work, I finally figured out that I am eligible for a holiday gift of $100 worth of Press books (a benefit that I could have reaped last year if the Press hadn't forgotten that I work here). I've spent my afternoon at work looking through the online catalog and trying to figure out what I want. I have to narrow it down from these:

The Encyclopedia of Chicago, ed. David Grossman et al.
Love, Sex, and Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives, by Simon Goldhill
Shakespeare on Love and Friendship, by Allan Bloom
Relating Religion, by J.Z. Smith
Natural Right and History, by Leo Strauss

Obviously, the UC Press is not the type of publishing house to have light reading like Digital Fortress in their catalog, and since they don't publish any John Grisham paperbacks, I can't get any Christmas presents for my dad. But I've found some heady stuff that I could see myself picking up, sometime in the near future, like when I'm 80 and have nothing to do but bide my time until death.

Nine hours left, and no more autumn quarter (smiley face) and no more Core Curriculum (slightly frowny face).

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

Ha, we did the Goldhill reprint. Apparently, he is very famous. I've also read The Encyclopedia of Chicago (parts, at least), and it's kind of a coffeetable book for geographers. Plus, it's outrageously expensive. Bloom you can almost certainly get used for 50 cents on Amazon. Alas, not everyone values him as much as you. However, if you get the Strauss book, we can exchange when you're done, because I used my $100 to get the City and Man. Hehe. It felt kind of devious.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

Too late. I got the Goldhill, Bloom, & Encyclopedia. I was worried that it might be too much of a coffeetable book, but then I thought that it made sense to get something so useless, expensive, but pretty for free.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say two things:
A. your hatred of ADVC kills me. Kills me! It is the most enjoyable and least difficult part of the entire course. And it usually raises your grade at least half a letter, sometimes more if you do extra. Seriously, I know we've had words about this in the past, but maybe I just need to knock some sense into you with those awesome hulk hands of yours.
B. encyclopedia of chicago = awesomeness. I covet it. Can you bring it to the apt and put it on our coffeetable???

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home