So it ends.
The final Welcome to the Pleasuredome played to a packed Blue Gargoyle on Friday night, thus capping the career of the Nineteenth Generation. This means (for the uninitiated) that after a brief transition winter, the Twentieth Generation, an all-new ensemble cast in October, will take over the Off-Off Campus mainstage. When I was cast in October 2004, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to finish the 14-month run. And when you're spending 15-20 hours a week for almost a year with the same group of eight people, the end can feel like a pretty painful fist to the stomach.
It seems like my life is full of endings recently: Off-Off is ending, school is ending (in less than 2 extremely short years), Georgia is ending, and though I get to see Kristen every month, each visit is soured by an ending. I also ended drinking coffee more or less... is there anything that's beginning in my life?
Despite what I tell my friends, I do have some loosely specific ideas in mind for what I will probably pursue for a career after college. However, before I entrench myself too permanently in any one of these, I want to make at least a few valiant attempts to see what I can do in the arts. I don't care what it is--art, performance, writing--but I need to see how far I can go and what kind of potential I have to make my artistic mark outside the safety of school. I got into an improv program with the Playground this winter, so we'll see where that can take me, but I'm going to be even further vigilant about taking chances and branching out into the real world.
PS. For you people studying in Boston... I'll be there the first weekend of December for a sketch comedy festival at Brandeis. Look me up?
The final Welcome to the Pleasuredome played to a packed Blue Gargoyle on Friday night, thus capping the career of the Nineteenth Generation. This means (for the uninitiated) that after a brief transition winter, the Twentieth Generation, an all-new ensemble cast in October, will take over the Off-Off Campus mainstage. When I was cast in October 2004, I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to finish the 14-month run. And when you're spending 15-20 hours a week for almost a year with the same group of eight people, the end can feel like a pretty painful fist to the stomach.
It seems like my life is full of endings recently: Off-Off is ending, school is ending (in less than 2 extremely short years), Georgia is ending, and though I get to see Kristen every month, each visit is soured by an ending. I also ended drinking coffee more or less... is there anything that's beginning in my life?
Despite what I tell my friends, I do have some loosely specific ideas in mind for what I will probably pursue for a career after college. However, before I entrench myself too permanently in any one of these, I want to make at least a few valiant attempts to see what I can do in the arts. I don't care what it is--art, performance, writing--but I need to see how far I can go and what kind of potential I have to make my artistic mark outside the safety of school. I got into an improv program with the Playground this winter, so we'll see where that can take me, but I'm going to be even further vigilant about taking chances and branching out into the real world.
PS. For you people studying in Boston... I'll be there the first weekend of December for a sketch comedy festival at Brandeis. Look me up?

2 Comments:
You made it into the Incubator program? Is that the one? Congrats, man! I totally forgot about my scheduled audition for it this past Saturday, but I imagine I'll be trying again pretty soon. Way to go!
Did I took that picture? I thinks me did!
Post a Comment
<< Home