Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Chicago Public Radio plays some form of jazz nearly every night of the week; in fact, I'm skeptical that it even plays classical music at any time. This I love, because Atlanta's WABE only played their Jazz Classics show once a week on Saturday nights, but now I get to fall asleep to it nearly every night. However, Chicago's host sounds fairly meek and not all that intersting compared to Jazz Classics' host H. Johnson, or "Jazz Guy" to me. Jazz Guy, I guess, is the old gravel-voiced black man who every white person hopes will descend and grant them the gift of jazz from on high. He always seemed slightly senile, in the ways that he would interrupt a song in the middle to start singing the bass part or to point out a particular drum riff. This one night he found a verse that he liked, and he played the the 10-second clip over 6 times in a row, singing along with it and saying, "That's nice!" after each time. As noted before on this blog, Jazz Guy accompanied me on many late car trips home as I tried to speed home before curfew. However, Chicago Public Radio Jazz Guy, who is really just a pleasant Jazz Person, played "Georgia On My Mind" last night. Does any other US state have a state song that is all about not living in the state? Anyhow, it's difficult to be completely emotionally anaesthesized against a song about missing Georgia when, in fact, you are missing Georgia and not at all going back there for Thanksgiving.

It's snowing out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

Drew, you're pining again.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home