Monday, October 31, 2005

Well, Halloween was a success. Rita has posted a few pictures on her blog, where you can see the costume nearest and dearest to my heart, Jeremy’s Daniel Webster costume (before she had R.A. duties, Ayesha was supposed to come with him as the Devil). Close second goes to Ben for dressing up as Oedipus, with his eyes actually gouged out. Fun was had with hot apple cider, Simpsons and Nicktoons holiday specials, an Arch Obler radio show, and lots of flammable costumes mingling among poorly placed candles. But don’t worry, Milton. The high school parties will always occupy an unattainable zenith, especially the year when a young man named Chase Yarbrough entered our hearts, via a banana suit.

Meanwhile, I feel like I’m spending my school year majoring in Off-Off. This has as much to do with the amount of rehearsal time the show takes as it does with my other classes underperforming. As much as I heart Hamlet, the play is starting to wear thin on me as we launch into our 113th discussion about Hamlet’s embodiment of Christian versus soldierly ideals. For chrissake, it’s Halloween, let’s move on to Macbeth and read about some goddamn beheadings. And in English 101, I’m so very fed up with theory. We just read some of Judith Butler’s Gender Trouble. The first time I read it for last year’s gender class, I was just confused. Now I’m pissed off. Butler’s theories, if you can find it in the obscure allusions and labyrinths of language, are pretty interesting, yes. But ultimately, they’re so depressing and nihilistic that you want, in Dave’s words on Butler, “to hit something or someone.” When you get down to it, the message of Gender Trouble is, “we can’t change the structure of power, but individually we can be subversive assholes,” or at least that’s what I took from it. And it’s true that my ire is slightly stoked by Martha Nussbaum’s criticisms, which are a little insane themselves, but in a crazy, “Yeah! Hit that bitch!” kind of way.

In short, my interest in academia is rapidly dwindling, leaving my future career plans at “publishing” and “hobo-ism.”

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

According to Alex, Judith Butler says that if I play with trucks enough, I will grow a penis. Conversely, if you took up Barbies, yours would disappear. How can you not be excited by such possibilities?

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We read Matt Christopher books at UGA.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew, my dad thinks you should take Milt Rosenberg's class, Psychology of Religion... I guess it's taught once a year at your school?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Gender studies are so lame. I mean, feminist literature is great, but feminist theory? It's feminist literature for people who couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag.

Have you seen the online Narnia trailer? That might cheer you up. It's listed on moviefone as "trailer 2," I think.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

Wow. That is awesome.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The funny thing about that Elvis business is that a real human being out there somewhere thought it was a good idea to write it.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

GAAAAAAAAH!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home