Some days, you have a class that really clicks. And some days, you spend the time doodling different angles of the Batmobile in the margins of your notes.
I might have deferred my Sophomore Slump to this year. As a third-year, I already feel like I'm on my way out of this place. The work I do in my classes doesn't feel as satisfying for its own sake like it used to. I find myself making exit strategies for leaving school, thinking about money saved, assessing my skills and projects in the context of the real world. Someone like Dave, who just got his hair bleached and styled so as to release it from any law of gravity, will probably tell me that it's too early to worry about this. After all, I'm only halfway finished with being an undergraduate. Nonetheless, I'm on the downward slope now.
Let me put it another way, you know how you're in school at Point A, and where you desire to be after school is Point B? Well, it's not that I think of Point B as an entirely unrealistic destination, it's that when you start to really consider the space between A and B, you see that connecting the dots is going to be a really confusing, roundabout task, and you wonder if you'll make it all the way to B, and if you shouldn't have already started to connect these dots a long time ago.
I visited Kristen last weekend, moving our visits up to 3 rather than 4 weeks apart, and we saw Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown, which has by now received reviews ranging from horrible to ho-hum. Naturally, I really really liked it. Granted, these reviews helped drain my expectations. But I still think I totally agree with everything A.O. Scott, that beautiful turtle of a man, says in his Times review--which is basically that the movie is likable but a failed mess. Still, I like it. And so I've decided that Cameron Crowe will just be a director whose work I will irrationally and unconditionally love, and I will defend Almost Famous to people like Daniel with silly hyperbole. Something about his movies will always strike a chord with me. The critics among you will tell me it's because his main characters always glean some important life lesson from a mix tape. But I think it's Crowe's unfailingly optimistic view of people, and his desire to understand and like every one of his characters, that I warm up to so much. But look at me, I'm already downloading the soundtrack like a goddamn sucker.
WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME opens tomorrow night. The poster is awesome. Come see it.
And holy mother of God, Chicago is actually having a true-to-life autumnal season this year.
I might have deferred my Sophomore Slump to this year. As a third-year, I already feel like I'm on my way out of this place. The work I do in my classes doesn't feel as satisfying for its own sake like it used to. I find myself making exit strategies for leaving school, thinking about money saved, assessing my skills and projects in the context of the real world. Someone like Dave, who just got his hair bleached and styled so as to release it from any law of gravity, will probably tell me that it's too early to worry about this. After all, I'm only halfway finished with being an undergraduate. Nonetheless, I'm on the downward slope now.
Let me put it another way, you know how you're in school at Point A, and where you desire to be after school is Point B? Well, it's not that I think of Point B as an entirely unrealistic destination, it's that when you start to really consider the space between A and B, you see that connecting the dots is going to be a really confusing, roundabout task, and you wonder if you'll make it all the way to B, and if you shouldn't have already started to connect these dots a long time ago.
I visited Kristen last weekend, moving our visits up to 3 rather than 4 weeks apart, and we saw Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown, which has by now received reviews ranging from horrible to ho-hum. Naturally, I really really liked it. Granted, these reviews helped drain my expectations. But I still think I totally agree with everything A.O. Scott, that beautiful turtle of a man, says in his Times review--which is basically that the movie is likable but a failed mess. Still, I like it. And so I've decided that Cameron Crowe will just be a director whose work I will irrationally and unconditionally love, and I will defend Almost Famous to people like Daniel with silly hyperbole. Something about his movies will always strike a chord with me. The critics among you will tell me it's because his main characters always glean some important life lesson from a mix tape. But I think it's Crowe's unfailingly optimistic view of people, and his desire to understand and like every one of his characters, that I warm up to so much. But look at me, I'm already downloading the soundtrack like a goddamn sucker.
WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME opens tomorrow night. The poster is awesome. Come see it.
And holy mother of God, Chicago is actually having a true-to-life autumnal season this year.

6 Comments:
I looooved Elizabethtown. And went out and bought the soundtrack immediately. Only to come back and find out that every critic everywhere thinks I'm stupid for liking it so much.
I agree with you though, I think I will always love Cameron Crowe movies despite their flaws, which I think are few, which the critics think are many.
I hope that by "Chicago is actually having a true-to-life autumnal season" you mean that the White Sox are in the World Series. 4 days and counting without a mention!
And emo nostalgic Drew has returned.
Incidentally, we would like to know more about the nature of emo nostalgic Drew's Halloween party. Should we expect crazy drunken revelry or sixth grade slumber party?
Why not both? I did a party like that a few weeks ago and it was awesome.
I can't bring myself to pay theater price for Orlando Bloom. He's like Leonardo DiCaprio. Which is to say, Eeeuuckh.
What is theater price in Athens anyway, $5.50?
Wouldn't that be nice? We do have a dollar theater where you can go see 28 days later and have the whole row in front of you giggling about the lead's penis the entire time.
And even if it were 5.50, it'd be 5.50 better spent on claymation or saved for Murrow.
Post a Comment
<< Home