Thursday, October 20, 2005

Good Guys Wear Black

OK, OK, Thomas is right, the White Sox deserve a short blog.

Frankly, I'm not up on the White Sox roster like I used to be, like in the Golden Age of the Sox. Which is to say, that period around 3rd grade when I would regularly watch their games on WGN whenever the Cubs weren't playing. Those were the days of Bo Jackson, Carlton Fisk, Robin Ventura, Steve Sax, Ron Karkovice, Player Ozzie Guillen, and of course, Healthy Frank Thomas, the team that lost to the Blue Jays for the '93 AL title. Now I'm only passing familiar with Konerko and Dye and Contreras; but they seem like good fellas, so I'll watch what I can of the series and get to know the team.

However, as an explanation, I can say only that, like last year, I can't watch post-season games because Off-Off Campus takes up game time 5 nights a week.

Not surprising is the reaction by the University of Chicago--i.e., no reaction. Sure, there are a handful of students wearing White Sox jerseys and hats to class. These are people who are actually South Siders; otherwise, I look at them with a mild suspicion. They reek of fairweather fandom. Which is a good reason why I haven't generated too much excitement myself, knowing all that I don't about the 2005 Sox.

However, the White Sox aren't the Red Sox; there's no danger of a White Sox Nation. Realistically, the White Sox could use a few temporary fans, especially from the University of Chicago. After all, we all pass Comiskey at Sox-35th stop on the Red Line up to the city... and even though most of us are too afraid to actually set foot inside Bronzeville, we owe it to the South Side to at least pretend like we live here for a few weeks in October.

As for the Astros? I like the Astros. I could never see why anyone would want to devote their spare time to watching Astros games much like I couldn't see anyone becoming too attached to the city of Houston-- but hey, my Relo family lived for 10 months outside Houston and I saw at least a half-dozen games at the stadium-cum-hurricane-shelter Astrodome. Now that was a ballpark, unlike Turner Field or Enron (whatever they call it now), that you could at least feel some passion one way or another about.

So this is a semi-meaningful series for me, at least more meaningful than a World Series like, say, the Royals and the Mets, something that my old Nintendo RBI Baseball 2 video game would have randomly generated.

Party like it's 1959.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Self-Important said...

Condoms related stuff? Holy shit! I'm there!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

drew, it's just an option on your preferences screen...we need word verification... pleeeeease...

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember when Thomas, you and I went to a Braves-Astros game, and Thomas insisted on jeering at the Astros bullpen. Or was that me? Hmm..

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home