Thursday, June 16, 2005

I have a deep instinctual love of all things Batman even though my love for it hasn't matured into the complex and full-bodied obsession of Adam. A quick study of all my preschool drawings indicate that I had little interest in drawing anything other than the Batman insignia. The memory of how to draw a perfectly rounded batwing is ingrained in my fingers. My black markers were always the first to run out

My childhood love of Batman is curious because at no time was I probably ever exposed to a Batman comic or film. I wasn't allowed to see the 1989 Tim Burton film until late elementary school, there was no cartoon yet, and even though I might've seen the Adam West series, I think the purple spandex and Go-Go boots would have perplexed me instead of inspired me. What is more likely is that, growing up in the shadow of the 1989 film, I merely latched on to all the pop culture iconography and buzz. It is possible that I am a case study for the first generation to be raised by a marketing campaign blitz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home