Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Fro-gurt Is Also Cursed

A quaint little store in downtown Dwight, IL boasts a tanning salon, a video store, and a tuxedo rental all rolled into one. American entrepreneurship at its best in the Heartland, for those lonely prom dates who want to get some color, dress up nice, and take home Who Framed Roger Rabbit to Mom.

I was passing through Dwight today because I was on the train back from St. Louis. On the way, I finally finished I Am Charlotte Simmons, and have to admit that despite the clumsiest and most obvious writing, it is regrettably a pretty important (at least, relevant) book in our time. It ended up dealing with moral issues in a way that reminded me of The Winter of Our Discontent, which is a book that means a lot to me because it is on my Facebook profile. It's a shame that most of the journalism I've read on it consist of only a "he said / she said" between students and administrators on the subject of binge drinking. I think people really miss the scope of his grander purpose. Which was, obviously, to get Tom Wolfe smashed out of his mind for "research."

More filthy, filthy Allan Bloom propaganda on why maybe it might be better if we didn't politicize the classroom, courtesy of Rita, who needs to give back my Ronald Reagan radio address tapes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home