Monday, February 21, 2005

Does my blog look fatter?

My roommate is listening to some country song about a rocking chair, whose refrain actually sounds something like "ovary chair." Ovary chair? I think we should make this the new derogatory term du jour for women.

I visited St. Louis this weekend, which marked almost 6 weeks since the last time Kristen and I had seen each other. That's the longest we've ever gone since we first left for school, which, I might add, seems much more distant than it should. A lot of the 'Retta folk have been expressing (some in blog-tongue) about how much they've been missing high school (or maybe because we missed the 2-year Breakfast Club anniversary), but I can say that I haven't really been aching for high school very consciously lately. I just find that those memories aren't as fluid and mobile in my mind anymore--- they've been immobilized, organized, and arranged rather nicely in the longterm memory. The contradiction is that sometimes I feel uneasy with how far away May 2003 is. That's a coastline that's going to keep moving further and further away, no matter how many times I come back to Alpharetta. My sister was just accepted to UGA this weekend, too... which is a whole different kind of portent. I don't even want to think of my parents living without children.

Anyway, on Friday we saw the new Al Pacino adaptation of Merchant of Venice, which is an entire blog in itself. Of course, whenever I see Shakespeare, I want to run out and tell everyone how awesome it was; but then I realize that it would be redundant. Having never read MoV, or, MerV, I've decided to keep my sense of discovery to myself. As for Hitch, which we saw the next night, I feel indebted to humanity to keep that to myself as well.

In rehearsal today we took stock of all the different voices we could do. I broke out the Sheila Enyeart impression, which, for some reason, hasn't surfaced in five months of improvisation. It had an effect. I thougth Clarke might appreciate that, somewhere across the country, someone is still paying homage to Sheila.

Quote of the day from my fiction professor: "As a Gothicist, I like to keep mobile the possibility of zombies [in any given story]." Yes, Laura, on February the 21st, Bill Veeder hypothesized the presence of zombies in D.H. Lawrence.

Plus: because pictures are more interesting than blogs, and it's a shockingly good picture of us--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home