It's hard being at work on Friday afternoons when you have a quart of tryptophan in your system after lunch. Especially when you have full internet access and a halfway hidden cubicle at your disposal. And a fully charged iPod. Aw, who am I kidding. This is such a non-job. I mean, compared to the labor-intensive wage work of the summer, the Press is a day spa with a broken copy machine.
I watched the debate last night at my neighbors'. It was a party where people were supposed to take a shot every time Bush said something stupid, but that never took off. Maybe it was the omnipresent contemplation of the next 4 years that compelled most of the guests to instead quietly nurse their drinks and somberly lift themselves up to a nihilistic buzz. I think, after about the 23rd ridiculous thing that came out of Bush's mouth, they stopped being funny. I mean, we knew he was a horrible speaker. But this was probably the first time since the 2000 election that his ineptness was really allowed to get out and roll around in the grass. Next time, let's elect a Speak n' Spell.
I read an interview today with the producer of Michael Moore Hates America, a documentary that follows Michael Moore around the country trying to get an interview with him, all the while pointing out his inconsistencies and subjectivism. As it turns out, the movie is not a point-by-point refutation of Moore's work, nor is it a lampoon. According to the producer, it's an examination of documentary ethics, the difficulty of presenting an objective representation on film, and the general shrillness of the American political culture (hence the sensationalist title: "it's not a thesis," says the producer). This, and the importance of not getting all your politcal information from one source. Apparently the filmmaker, Mike Wilson, goes to a college campus where Moore is speaking and interviews students waiting in line for tickets. The general consesus from them is that, they don't really care if the film is edited in a manipulative style or that the facts are half-truths: they just agree with the message. Which I completely sympathize with. It's hard to criticize something that you so fundamentally agree with. I always tell people that, even though I'm on his side, I think that Michael Moore is intellectually bad for America; except that when I'm watching Fahrenheit 9/11, I'm thinking, "YES! YES! KILL! KILL!" So anyway, I might be interested in seeing Michael Moore Hates America, although I have no idea if it's going to get any more than a limited release. Unfortunately, it'll probably be adopted by the conservative movement (the director is libertarian) and garner a spot on The O'Reilly Factor. Well, if you're not so into seeing it, just remember when your Republican friends refused to see Fahrenheit 9/11 and you thought, "Oh, that is so like a conservative."
Meanwhile, I'll be baking Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for Truth this afternoon. Stop by if you're around. I have to wait around until a first-year named Leif comes to pick up the mini-fridge I'm selling him.
I watched the debate last night at my neighbors'. It was a party where people were supposed to take a shot every time Bush said something stupid, but that never took off. Maybe it was the omnipresent contemplation of the next 4 years that compelled most of the guests to instead quietly nurse their drinks and somberly lift themselves up to a nihilistic buzz. I think, after about the 23rd ridiculous thing that came out of Bush's mouth, they stopped being funny. I mean, we knew he was a horrible speaker. But this was probably the first time since the 2000 election that his ineptness was really allowed to get out and roll around in the grass. Next time, let's elect a Speak n' Spell.
I read an interview today with the producer of Michael Moore Hates America, a documentary that follows Michael Moore around the country trying to get an interview with him, all the while pointing out his inconsistencies and subjectivism. As it turns out, the movie is not a point-by-point refutation of Moore's work, nor is it a lampoon. According to the producer, it's an examination of documentary ethics, the difficulty of presenting an objective representation on film, and the general shrillness of the American political culture (hence the sensationalist title: "it's not a thesis," says the producer). This, and the importance of not getting all your politcal information from one source. Apparently the filmmaker, Mike Wilson, goes to a college campus where Moore is speaking and interviews students waiting in line for tickets. The general consesus from them is that, they don't really care if the film is edited in a manipulative style or that the facts are half-truths: they just agree with the message. Which I completely sympathize with. It's hard to criticize something that you so fundamentally agree with. I always tell people that, even though I'm on his side, I think that Michael Moore is intellectually bad for America; except that when I'm watching Fahrenheit 9/11, I'm thinking, "YES! YES! KILL! KILL!" So anyway, I might be interested in seeing Michael Moore Hates America, although I have no idea if it's going to get any more than a limited release. Unfortunately, it'll probably be adopted by the conservative movement (the director is libertarian) and garner a spot on The O'Reilly Factor. Well, if you're not so into seeing it, just remember when your Republican friends refused to see Fahrenheit 9/11 and you thought, "Oh, that is so like a conservative."
Meanwhile, I'll be baking Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for Truth this afternoon. Stop by if you're around. I have to wait around until a first-year named Leif comes to pick up the mini-fridge I'm selling him.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home