In theory, I have a television this year. In reality, that television is sitting at someone else's apartment (I don't know the location) waiting for my roommate to find a willing soul to drive it over here. This isn't really harming my lifestyle all that much. All I'm missing is Scrubs, and I'm forced to be out of the room when that comes on anyhow.
Still, there is a very lonely Star Wars Trilogy DVD set [Widescreen edition] giving me puppy dog eyes not two feet away on my shelf. I keep telling her I can't play with her yet. She wants to be in my laptop. But how can I explain to her that it would be a disservice to play Star Wars on a mere laptop, to watch Sir Alec Guiness chop off muppet arms on a screen less than a foot high?
My first weekend with daily rehearsals has prompted a massive shift in lifestyle, simultaneously eliminating cooking, reading Middlesex, and homework from my daily charges. The value of my spare time has shot up like so many ounces of recreational drugs that I carry around in individual plastic baggies.
Here's my typical day, because it might just be interesting to someone, and if not, you should direct yourself to John's parking woes and consider donating towards Mr. Patrick's legal fees.
7:15- Wake up, make coffee, talk to Kristen online, finish French homework and/or Gender reading.
9:10- Saddle up bicycle and ride one mile to campus.
9:30-11:20- Class.
11:30- Eat lunch in a) Cobb Coffee Shop where I can consume suspect falaffel sandwiches imported from The Nile. In Cobb whoever's working plays the music of their choice which, 3 times out of 11, happens to always be Kid A cranked to an ungodly volume. Don't get me wrong, Nick, I respect Thom Yorke, but the man does not write music suited for ambient dining... but I can also eat at b) BJ, technically my official dining hall, that looks like between Beowulf's mead-hall, Eomer's fortress of Rohan, and the Norweigan village at Epcot Center Disneyworld. Here I can sit at my house table and be shunned by all the first-years I've failed to introduce myself to.
12:30- I arrive at work and promptly get down to photocopying and paper-cutting for 3 hours. Work is interrupted by reading advance reviews of movies and mentally planning out future weekends around The Incredibles and Finding Neverland. I also try and send an email or two to Kristen while I have the computer.
3:30- I leave and pull my bike into the Shoreland 15 minutes later. There is rarely space on the bike rack, so I end up knocking off other peoples' front reflectors or hitting their seats at weird angles in the process of trying to negotiate my Raleigh into a space between two bikes which only see any action two, three times a week.
4:00- Here begins Homework Time. Homework time is complicated by Dinner Time, Halloween-Decorating Time, Do-My-Roommates-Dishes Time, and Facebook Time. At 6:30 I have to start leaving for rehearsal, having accoplished about 14 minutes of actual work. On the way to rehearsal I give Kristen a call and run up her cell phone minutes.
7:00- Rehearsal
10:00- I leave rehearsal and ride my bike back to the Shoreland. This part of my day is probably my most lucid... full of endorphins from copious amounts of Zip-Zap-Zop, I get the streets of Hyde Park to myself since nobody drives past 8 o'clock. It's the time of day when I get to pedal into the turns.
10:15- I call Kristen and delay her bedtime. We both take time to reflect on the intensity of pre-med coursework, and I relate stories about my time in Gen Chem like I actually know anything at all about taking chemistry, biology, calculus, psych, and dance at the same time. (We also share our Oreo Tallies and compare how much we ate that day).
11:00- By this time my roommate has returned and is busy unwinding, vocally, with the help of Alan Jackson and other local country music stations. I retreat into the bedroom where I convince myself that I'll productively get lots of studying done in bed, under the covers, in dim light. As a result of copious amounts of Zip-Zap-Zop, I am way asleep by midnight. Go ahead and make fun, but by God I'm clinging to my 7 hours of sleep.
So 3 hours of rehearsal, 3 hours of work, two to four hours of class, and an hour plus of commute time. The problem is, I really enjoy it.
The problem is, Saturday must be converted into a day for making up lost time, which means I have to go. Man, this blog kinda hit a dead end.
Still, there is a very lonely Star Wars Trilogy DVD set [Widescreen edition] giving me puppy dog eyes not two feet away on my shelf. I keep telling her I can't play with her yet. She wants to be in my laptop. But how can I explain to her that it would be a disservice to play Star Wars on a mere laptop, to watch Sir Alec Guiness chop off muppet arms on a screen less than a foot high?
My first weekend with daily rehearsals has prompted a massive shift in lifestyle, simultaneously eliminating cooking, reading Middlesex, and homework from my daily charges. The value of my spare time has shot up like so many ounces of recreational drugs that I carry around in individual plastic baggies.
Here's my typical day, because it might just be interesting to someone, and if not, you should direct yourself to John's parking woes and consider donating towards Mr. Patrick's legal fees.
7:15- Wake up, make coffee, talk to Kristen online, finish French homework and/or Gender reading.
9:10- Saddle up bicycle and ride one mile to campus.
9:30-11:20- Class.
11:30- Eat lunch in a) Cobb Coffee Shop where I can consume suspect falaffel sandwiches imported from The Nile. In Cobb whoever's working plays the music of their choice which, 3 times out of 11, happens to always be Kid A cranked to an ungodly volume. Don't get me wrong, Nick, I respect Thom Yorke, but the man does not write music suited for ambient dining... but I can also eat at b) BJ, technically my official dining hall, that looks like between Beowulf's mead-hall, Eomer's fortress of Rohan, and the Norweigan village at Epcot Center Disneyworld. Here I can sit at my house table and be shunned by all the first-years I've failed to introduce myself to.
12:30- I arrive at work and promptly get down to photocopying and paper-cutting for 3 hours. Work is interrupted by reading advance reviews of movies and mentally planning out future weekends around The Incredibles and Finding Neverland. I also try and send an email or two to Kristen while I have the computer.
3:30- I leave and pull my bike into the Shoreland 15 minutes later. There is rarely space on the bike rack, so I end up knocking off other peoples' front reflectors or hitting their seats at weird angles in the process of trying to negotiate my Raleigh into a space between two bikes which only see any action two, three times a week.
4:00- Here begins Homework Time. Homework time is complicated by Dinner Time, Halloween-Decorating Time, Do-My-Roommates-Dishes Time, and Facebook Time. At 6:30 I have to start leaving for rehearsal, having accoplished about 14 minutes of actual work. On the way to rehearsal I give Kristen a call and run up her cell phone minutes.
7:00- Rehearsal
10:00- I leave rehearsal and ride my bike back to the Shoreland. This part of my day is probably my most lucid... full of endorphins from copious amounts of Zip-Zap-Zop, I get the streets of Hyde Park to myself since nobody drives past 8 o'clock. It's the time of day when I get to pedal into the turns.
10:15- I call Kristen and delay her bedtime. We both take time to reflect on the intensity of pre-med coursework, and I relate stories about my time in Gen Chem like I actually know anything at all about taking chemistry, biology, calculus, psych, and dance at the same time. (We also share our Oreo Tallies and compare how much we ate that day).
11:00- By this time my roommate has returned and is busy unwinding, vocally, with the help of Alan Jackson and other local country music stations. I retreat into the bedroom where I convince myself that I'll productively get lots of studying done in bed, under the covers, in dim light. As a result of copious amounts of Zip-Zap-Zop, I am way asleep by midnight. Go ahead and make fun, but by God I'm clinging to my 7 hours of sleep.
So 3 hours of rehearsal, 3 hours of work, two to four hours of class, and an hour plus of commute time. The problem is, I really enjoy it.
The problem is, Saturday must be converted into a day for making up lost time, which means I have to go. Man, this blog kinda hit a dead end.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home