Friday, October 29, 2004

I have a confession: I didn't watch a single playoffs or World Series game this fall save for a smattering of 8th and 9th innings. That's right, you can call me out, but what can you do when you have rehearsal every night from 7 to 10? Keep your wireless iMac purring during breaks to check the scores, that's what you can do; but that's not as exciting, and moreover, it doesn't give me any cred. So here I cease commentary on post-season 2004: it would've been anti-climactic if I'd had time to hype myself up.

On a related note, I think we might be living in the best autumn season in over 10 years. Consider: both the national league and the american league rocked the playoffs, and though the world series was over too fast, it was certainly historically significant. Consider: Halloween actually lasts for 1 hour longer because of Daylight Savings Time. And consider: at least where I am, the trees are actually putting on a pretty good show, color-wise. Plus, we've got a pretty exciting election that's giving us some primo television entertainment (I'm referring, of course, to Obama-Keyes, but the Kerry-Bush debates are fairly enjoyable as well). Could it be that this is the Platonic form of Mr. October?

I got my first paycheck today after some problems with payroll. I had to go to the Mott building off the Midway, which is where bad architectural ideas go to die. The interior is cramped (owing to the fact that people in the '70s were smaller in stature, I guess), the walls on the inside of the elevator are made of burlap, and the plants are made of wax-- the whole place is one big serotonin deficiency. But they cleared up the discrepancy on my timecard, and I got a paycheck this afternoon that was so big I'm going to come in to Soc on Tuesday and formally renounce Karl Marx as a wank.

I almost forgot to mention that Kristen was here last weekend. Now that we've both discovered the kitchen, cooking is our primary activity. We made pumpkin bread, harvest turkey with squash and apples, breakfast pizza, and pumpkin-patch brownies (all recipes courtesy of my mother). We also strolled Michigan Avenue, where I took the chance to stop by the Apple store and get my sick iPod looked at. Sadly, it's terminal, and my one-year warranty has expired, meaning my iPoding days are over or I have to pony up for a new one. After that, we perused the 3-story American Girl store where Kristen fainted several times from happiness. As for myself, I had images of Catherine MacKinnon, Simone de Beauvoir, and the Radicalesbians tearing up the place with big feminist baseball bats, but such is my proclivity taking Gender Studies this quarter.

Well, one more hour in this cubicle until Halloween weekend officially begins. It looks like I won't have a whole lot to do except attend the Off-Off and Big Dog Eat Child shows, but I'll probably squeeze some pumpkin carving in there.

Happy Halloween!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home