Halloween is coming, slowly but surely, to the 7th floor of Shoreland. Yesterday I unpacked all of my Department 56 Halloween Village items. I have a little skeleton rising out of his coffin, a haunted tree, and a demonic carousel. And maybe one very concerned roommate.
Apparently, when people want to have a good time in the Midwest, they go to Madison, WI, because apparently Madison is like the nexus of all Halloween parties (and not, as I may have led you to believe, in my basement). It is so popular, in fact, that the university imposes on its housing system a limit of one guest per resident over Halloween weekend. I actually require two hands to count the number of people I've spoken with who have plans to get up to Madison, even if that means taking Metra commuter rail. That kinda bespeaks of the lack of things to do in Chicago on Halloween, or at least of things to do in the Dionysian-orgy tradition.
But I will likely remain here. On Saturday there's a screening of The Bat with live organ accompaniement in Rockefeller Chapel (last year was The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). But I'm really lacking anything veritably awesome to do. Maybe I just need a veritably awesome costume.
My mom sent me a ton of Halloween stuff, including a Martha Stewart Living magazine. This wasn't entirely unexpected: I always pick up a little Martha every fall. She really does have some awesome craft ideas for Halloween parties, and it's fun to flip through the pages and imagine making the kind of crafts for which you have neither the time nor the dexterity. Ask Julia. She came in and made fun of it on Friday night... until she became completely absorbed in reading it.
We also saw I Heart Huckabee's on Friday night. I don't know, it was good, but... I don't really have a lot more to say about it. It should be the kind of movie that prompts a lot of discussion, but I kinda stopped thinking about it after I'd left the theater.
Off to Psych.
Apparently, when people want to have a good time in the Midwest, they go to Madison, WI, because apparently Madison is like the nexus of all Halloween parties (and not, as I may have led you to believe, in my basement). It is so popular, in fact, that the university imposes on its housing system a limit of one guest per resident over Halloween weekend. I actually require two hands to count the number of people I've spoken with who have plans to get up to Madison, even if that means taking Metra commuter rail. That kinda bespeaks of the lack of things to do in Chicago on Halloween, or at least of things to do in the Dionysian-orgy tradition.
But I will likely remain here. On Saturday there's a screening of The Bat with live organ accompaniement in Rockefeller Chapel (last year was The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). But I'm really lacking anything veritably awesome to do. Maybe I just need a veritably awesome costume.
My mom sent me a ton of Halloween stuff, including a Martha Stewart Living magazine. This wasn't entirely unexpected: I always pick up a little Martha every fall. She really does have some awesome craft ideas for Halloween parties, and it's fun to flip through the pages and imagine making the kind of crafts for which you have neither the time nor the dexterity. Ask Julia. She came in and made fun of it on Friday night... until she became completely absorbed in reading it.
We also saw I Heart Huckabee's on Friday night. I don't know, it was good, but... I don't really have a lot more to say about it. It should be the kind of movie that prompts a lot of discussion, but I kinda stopped thinking about it after I'd left the theater.
Off to Psych.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home