Thursday, October 21, 2004

"Compared with the Cubs' painful history, the Red Sox's painful history is amateur hour."

That's from Rick Morrissey's excellent below-the-fold article in this morning's Trib. The article, which you will not be able to access until you surrender everything but your dignity to the Chicago Tribune (which officially endorsed Bush last weekend, by the way, but I'm the sure the personal info is not directly going to Ashcroft), is a sparkling piece of journalism that laughs in Steinbrenner's face, champions the BoSox, and serves up the obligatory portion of Cubs self-loathing. Seriously, every piece of sports journalism composed in this city in the past weeks has found a way to reference how we choked. Eventually, it'll come to "Starter Rex Grossman is out for the season with a knee injury which will bring in Tim Couch for a physical, and by the way, how much did Dusty Baker totally fuck that up, right? Christ."

I couldn't be happier for the Red Sox, who, according to Morrissey is (was) a team the Cubs could commisserate with. Of course, the point I made to a group of NY & Boston fans at the Cast Meets Cast Bash was that, while the Cubbies are self-loathers at heart, the BoSox objectify their frustration on a particular team. I don't think either ball club has anyone but themselves to blame for their history, but at least the Cubs have the tact to wallow in their own failure instead of shouting and throwing beer bottles at the adjacent city. Now God knows, I hate the Yankees in every way from their economics to their aesthetics. But to base your entire identity on an antagonism with another team... that's not cool. And it makes for some pretty shrill fans.

On a cosmically related note, I found myself really fervently defending Marx & Engel's The German Ideology in class today. I'm not coming out of the closet as a Marxist; it's just in my nature to defend the text everyone else in the discussion hates on. The same thing happens in Gender when I take up the flag for Freud (because Hum Fuckers here teeth themselves on refuting Freud like they're the first goddamn people perceptible enough to "see through" his "bullshit"). It's for the same reasons I heart Cubs/ Red Sox. The North Side underdog syndrome, as it were, makes it against my nature to sincerely champion Adam Smith. So, cheers to Boston's proletariat revolution wresting the means of production from Steinbrenner. In the right light, Johnny Damon looks a little like Trotsky bred with a labrador and Jason Lee.

Aw, hell. Go read Moneyball.

Or watch Jon Stewart lay the smack down on Crossfire: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home