Friday, August 20, 2004

A dark and stormy night in Alpharetta.

The warning sirens just started going off. It's not really raining outside,
but it's thundering and lightning and the wind is blowing like a bitch. I just
got back not 10 minutes ago from Schlotzsky's Deli to get my Pastrami and
Cheese (I guess my first pastrami and cheese would have been fall of junior year). The weather looked way ugly on my way back, worse than it did that one time
this summer, and there were leaves and pine straw hitting my windshield.
Around the construction sites at Webb Br. and North Point, there were loads of
dust being blowing into cyclones. I'm home alone now; my sister is at the
first Milton football game (she left early to tailgate). I guess it'll be
cancelled, because I called her a few minutes ago and she and her friends were
huddled in the Jeep at Milton waiting for the storm to pass. My parents are at
a tennis party. They promised not to stay long, but I'm going to go to bed
early anyhow since work starts at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

Well, the weather just died down, so I guess that's it. Maybe I'll go down and
watch the rest of THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS. I rented it last night, and it
turns out that the movie is almost half-and-half English and French (although
the main characters speak mostly French). I watched only half of it; the
story's good, the script is actually trying to work in some theme about
September 11 into the plot of a rich son and his professor father, an old
adulterer, who is dying of cancer. But somehow I just wasn't able to keep
watching it last night; more proof that I can't watch rented movies, I guess.

Work has been tense this week, because everybody is overworked or in a bad
mood. On Wednesday, we were slammed in the morning and Mike got so frustrated
that he chucked a jug of milk at the wall in the back. It literally exploded.
I think he did it because Dane the Manager, for some reason, has been MIA the past week. He keeps getting people to cover his shift (or, as I hear, only scheduling
the "good people" to work with him when he works). Like, Daphnee had to cover
his shift earlier in the week, but she's also been covering Laurie's shifts,
so she's had at least three 11-or-12-hour days in the past week... this with a
three-year-old at home. So Mike is angry that he can never depend on Dane for
anything, so he left an angry phone message on Dane's machine saying that he
has to start acting like a manager and get his store together. And Dane got
way pissed at that. So that's kinda the story with Starbucks right now. The stories are boring, but they're the only stories I have. As much as I "want" to work a lot this month while everyone's gone, I find being at work just really hard. I don't know what it is; it's not a hard job. Maybe it just doesn't interest me anymore. Maybe it's because I'm always plagued by the feeling that I'm not helping out enough. More on this later, maybe.

Well, I'm going to hit the basement now, I think. On second thought, why don't
I just watch it upstairs? No one else is home anyway.

By the way, interested parties should enter to win 2 tickets to a Donnie Darko: Director's Cut screening next Thursday in Atlanta. Go to chud.com and scroll down to the headline in the left sidebar. All you have to do is enter your name and there's a good chance for tickets.

*Later*

OK, that movie decided to drop the Sept. 11 themes and focus solely on how depressing dying is, especially when you're dying and a Canadian intellectual. What a downer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home