Monday, July 05, 2004

Well, I loved Fahrenheit 9/11. I was about to blog a reason why, but then I realized that I would just be writing an apology, and it's ridiculous for me to apologize for liking a movie, unless it's directed by Steven Spielberg and has at least the letters A and I on the poster.

I ran a long run from Milton to Wills Park and back last week, and after the run I stretched on the stadium stands and walked the perimeter of the school. I'm sorry to say that it looked like crap. There were broken chairs and wood scraps that had been pitched out and lay scattered in front of the blue double doors like they were gutting the interior. The bricks of the outer wall looked more stained than usual, even on the "new" science wing. Some of the debris is just summer cleaning, I know. But the building still has one more year left, but already it looks like they're already letting it rot. That happened quick. It makes me pause and wonder how much work was really going into keeping Milton looking fresh-- like when an old man tries to hide a bad knee.

Then yesterday, Kristen and I went to the school to watch the fireworks like last year. Again, we walked around the outside while we waited for the Alpharetta Fire Department a mile away to get its act together. Gotta say, I didn't really get nostalgic or wistful or thoughtful. I didn't even ponder. Zero ponderance. That should've been abnormal, but it's very much become normal since the summer started. Is there anyone I can blame for stealing my romanticism? I can't even daydream anymore without having stress dreams of making coffee. I think I shall call these fits "strespressos."

By the way, good people of Alpharetta, there is no such thing as an "expresso," and no, you cannot get it in a venti size.

By the way of the way:

-Alfred "Throw Me the Whip" Molina rocks in Spider-Man.
-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban rocks in IMAX and may be my favorite movie ever because of its juxtaposition of pumpkins and jazz and David Thewlis.
-I broke down and bought Return of the King, theatrical version, on DVD, but used and for only $12.95.

Ahhh. Pour me a glass of sweet, ice-cold CGI.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home