Saturday, May 29, 2004

Wallace Stevens is starting to piss me off. He won't tell me what he's trying to say. And I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that he's trying to say that I shouldn't be worried about what he's trying to say. But how do I figure that out if he won't tell me?

At least I know that the guy who checked out this library book before me was having as much trouble as me. Check out this poem:

The Virgin Carrying a Lantern

There are no bears among the roses,
Only a negress who supposes
Things false and wrong

About the lantern of the beauty
Who walks there, as a farewell duty,
Walks long and long.

The pity that her pious egress
Should fill the vigil of a negress
With heat so strong!

...Now check out his annotations, roughly approximated in italics where he wrote them:

The (only one?) Virgin (Mary?)(Why virgin?) Carrying (who is she lighting?) a Lantern (DARK vs. LIGHT)

There are no bears (?) among the roses, -->(GARDEN civ *winner* vs. FOREST wild)
Only a negress who supposes -->(female black stupid?)
Things false and wrong (no punct.)
(Thinking about lantern of virgin?)

About the lantern of the beauty
Who walks there, as a farewell duty, -->(byby?)(duty. drudgery?)
Walks long and long. <---(hard work? forced?)

The pity that her pious egress (Not a sentence: il n'y a pas verbe)
Should fill the vigil of a negress (what is she leaving? Eden?)(what's the negress doing?)
With heat so strong!
---> (is she angry at things which she has mistaken or are the falsities made to shelter some prejudice?)

I hear ya, buddy. Hope you're on the right track.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home