Rolling Stones - "I Am Waiting"
Nothing makes the end of the year go slower than consistently thinking about how slow the end of the year is going. Kristen's visit was supposed to be a turn in the corner to the home stretch, and it was, but man what a stretch. These days are so long. Yesterday felt like 1998.
Sorry no blogs, but I have to admit, I've been disappointed in the Alpharetta blogging community in recent weeks. And I know that all of you really are doing interesting things at home. Some of you graduated last week, for chrissake! Daniel, I know you have a funny story about visiting Ms. Crockett. If not, make one up. I need news!
Kristen came this weekend for five big, juicy days. It was fun, but I'd much rather be spending time with her in Alpharetta. The visits feel strained sometimes because one person is always going to be an unfamiliar place. Luckily, the next time we meet everything will return to normal. I like it better when we both know the restaurants and the people and the street names. Furthermore, I always feel like a tour guide here, feeling the need to explain ever landmark and person in the context of my life. I'm sure she gets tired of me pointing out the trash can near which I had that really incredible sneeze last November.
[Actually, my favorite part of the trip was when we visited some of the neighborhood bookstores. It made me remember how right it feels when we're at a bookstore together. I suppose that's because most of our social interaction before dating took place wandering through a Barnes & Noble. In fact, I can't think of a better way to spend an anniversary.]
I saw Citizen Kane for the first time yesterday, for my Media Aesthetics class. Everyone had already warned me of how boring it is, but I ended up liking it a good deal. Maybe it was because I saw it in a darkened theater instead of on a VHS at home, or maybe I'm just too generous to films sometimes. I tried keeping in my head Kavalier & Clay and the chapter when Sammy and Joe see Citizen Kane for the first time and it floors them, so I guess I tried to look for the elements that might have been ground-breaking at the time of its release. And I found them. The film really does do some cool effects with sound and camera, and there were some scenes that impresses me even as a modern movie-goer. It was also the first time I'd seen a movie in a real darkened cinema in over six weeks, I'd say, which has got to be some sort of record for me. In any case, I really can't wait to talk about it in class.
At 57th Street Books, I picked up the 2003 Best American Nonrequired Reading, edited by Dave Eggers. I really like these books. I think Eggers commands a certain taste that is a little narrow, but they're still great collections and reading it is a welcome release from the Jane Austen glacier that has encroached on my life.
I really did like Pride & Prejudice. Can we do a Dungeons and Dragons thing in my class where we just refer to the novel as P&P?
Going to see Art Speigelman, author of Maus, speak this afternoon. Excited.
Out.
Nothing makes the end of the year go slower than consistently thinking about how slow the end of the year is going. Kristen's visit was supposed to be a turn in the corner to the home stretch, and it was, but man what a stretch. These days are so long. Yesterday felt like 1998.
Sorry no blogs, but I have to admit, I've been disappointed in the Alpharetta blogging community in recent weeks. And I know that all of you really are doing interesting things at home. Some of you graduated last week, for chrissake! Daniel, I know you have a funny story about visiting Ms. Crockett. If not, make one up. I need news!
Kristen came this weekend for five big, juicy days. It was fun, but I'd much rather be spending time with her in Alpharetta. The visits feel strained sometimes because one person is always going to be an unfamiliar place. Luckily, the next time we meet everything will return to normal. I like it better when we both know the restaurants and the people and the street names. Furthermore, I always feel like a tour guide here, feeling the need to explain ever landmark and person in the context of my life. I'm sure she gets tired of me pointing out the trash can near which I had that really incredible sneeze last November.
[Actually, my favorite part of the trip was when we visited some of the neighborhood bookstores. It made me remember how right it feels when we're at a bookstore together. I suppose that's because most of our social interaction before dating took place wandering through a Barnes & Noble. In fact, I can't think of a better way to spend an anniversary.]
I saw Citizen Kane for the first time yesterday, for my Media Aesthetics class. Everyone had already warned me of how boring it is, but I ended up liking it a good deal. Maybe it was because I saw it in a darkened theater instead of on a VHS at home, or maybe I'm just too generous to films sometimes. I tried keeping in my head Kavalier & Clay and the chapter when Sammy and Joe see Citizen Kane for the first time and it floors them, so I guess I tried to look for the elements that might have been ground-breaking at the time of its release. And I found them. The film really does do some cool effects with sound and camera, and there were some scenes that impresses me even as a modern movie-goer. It was also the first time I'd seen a movie in a real darkened cinema in over six weeks, I'd say, which has got to be some sort of record for me. In any case, I really can't wait to talk about it in class.
At 57th Street Books, I picked up the 2003 Best American Nonrequired Reading, edited by Dave Eggers. I really like these books. I think Eggers commands a certain taste that is a little narrow, but they're still great collections and reading it is a welcome release from the Jane Austen glacier that has encroached on my life.
I really did like Pride & Prejudice. Can we do a Dungeons and Dragons thing in my class where we just refer to the novel as P&P?
Going to see Art Speigelman, author of Maus, speak this afternoon. Excited.
Out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home