Radiohead - "Sit Down Stand Up"
I got my housing confirmation slip last night, and lo and behold, I only have one roommate for the entire triple next year. Granted, some kid who slipped through the cracks could hypothetically be dropped in there with us over the summer, but all indications point to just Mark and I living there next quarter. I guess nobody ended up filling the room after we signed up for it. Shazam!
Last night was a lot of fun because it reminded me of something I might've done on a Saturday night at home. Jeremy, Ayesha, Becky and I went to the Snail for my 43rd Thai meal there this academic year, and then we stopped at the Co-op for movies. We picked up City Slickers, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, and Jeremy got a Frank Capra film, State of the Union, featuring Angela Lansbury as a wicked newspaper owner pulling the strings in Washingtion. It was dusk when we walked back, but the trees on 56th street create a canopy that darkens the whole street early, except for the flickering lanters standing on the doorsteps of each of the houses. Some frat (fiji?) was sporting a Pearl Jam cover band that you could hear off and on for several blocks, and it was pleasant, although I'm sure that's not the complement Pearl Jam is usually fishing for. The way I see it, the sound of far-off music makes me feel like a small figure on a vast expanse and simultaneously makes that space see even closer. Does that make sense? We then stopped for provisions in the form of Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, and Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, and then we let Billy Crystal take over the night. Even Rita came out of sick bay to not ask so many questions about the movie as usual. Then I trepidously slipped in MST3K, and miraculously, everybody loved it and we watched the whole thing. I've never seen a time when a whole room of over 3 people totally loved MST3K.
The cap of the evening, I guess, was when I discovered the WABE-NPR Atlanta broadcasts online now, so I was able to fall asleep listening to Jazz Guy. When I shut my eyes, it almost felt like I was in my bed at home. And suddenly, for a brief moment, I knew that my family had moved out of the house while I was at college. I had this vision of our upstairs hallway, and I saw the three yellow watercolors that are on that wall, and I kept thinking to myself that I'll never see that again. The thought only lasted for a second, but I got the uneasy awareness of how far I was from Alpharetta, and how I'll never be able to go home again without being a guest.
I think I invite these waves of homesickness. Sometimes they come on their own, always on the threshold in and out of sleep, but I can induce them quite easily. Maybe feeling homesick on a semi-regular basis makes me feel whole somehow.
A week and a day.
I got my housing confirmation slip last night, and lo and behold, I only have one roommate for the entire triple next year. Granted, some kid who slipped through the cracks could hypothetically be dropped in there with us over the summer, but all indications point to just Mark and I living there next quarter. I guess nobody ended up filling the room after we signed up for it. Shazam!
Last night was a lot of fun because it reminded me of something I might've done on a Saturday night at home. Jeremy, Ayesha, Becky and I went to the Snail for my 43rd Thai meal there this academic year, and then we stopped at the Co-op for movies. We picked up City Slickers, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, and Jeremy got a Frank Capra film, State of the Union, featuring Angela Lansbury as a wicked newspaper owner pulling the strings in Washingtion. It was dusk when we walked back, but the trees on 56th street create a canopy that darkens the whole street early, except for the flickering lanters standing on the doorsteps of each of the houses. Some frat (fiji?) was sporting a Pearl Jam cover band that you could hear off and on for several blocks, and it was pleasant, although I'm sure that's not the complement Pearl Jam is usually fishing for. The way I see it, the sound of far-off music makes me feel like a small figure on a vast expanse and simultaneously makes that space see even closer. Does that make sense? We then stopped for provisions in the form of Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, and Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, and then we let Billy Crystal take over the night. Even Rita came out of sick bay to not ask so many questions about the movie as usual. Then I trepidously slipped in MST3K, and miraculously, everybody loved it and we watched the whole thing. I've never seen a time when a whole room of over 3 people totally loved MST3K.
The cap of the evening, I guess, was when I discovered the WABE-NPR Atlanta broadcasts online now, so I was able to fall asleep listening to Jazz Guy. When I shut my eyes, it almost felt like I was in my bed at home. And suddenly, for a brief moment, I knew that my family had moved out of the house while I was at college. I had this vision of our upstairs hallway, and I saw the three yellow watercolors that are on that wall, and I kept thinking to myself that I'll never see that again. The thought only lasted for a second, but I got the uneasy awareness of how far I was from Alpharetta, and how I'll never be able to go home again without being a guest.
I think I invite these waves of homesickness. Sometimes they come on their own, always on the threshold in and out of sleep, but I can induce them quite easily. Maybe feeling homesick on a semi-regular basis makes me feel whole somehow.
A week and a day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home