Thursday, May 13, 2004

Neutral Milk Hotel - "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"

I positively don't get Percy Shelley or his meddling poems. Not only that, but Shelley is responsible for single-handedly stopping up the work ethic of this quarter. I was trying to read the assignment two evenings ago, and I couldn't find a single word to get a grip on. It was during "Mont Blanc" that the work ethic just shut off. Right there, like a faucet. I closed the book, left the dorm, and bought some chocolate-covered pretzels and listened to Dave Matthews all night. Is that not the model of anti-intellectualism?

I'm worn out from thinking for these classes. I'm behind in reading dozens of poems for poetry, all of which I have to not only read but fully comprehend before class, and these Romanticism readings are tough like toenails, and in Humanities, woof... we're trying to discuss Pride and Prejudice in terms of Derrida and signs and interpretation, and I don't see a thing. I went in to talk with my professor about it yesterday, and he started going off about Darcy and the matrix of location and conversation, and how this relates to land inheritance, and all I could do to respond like they do in the Simpsons, with "WHA...??" I didn't say that, I did the next best thing, which was nod thoughtfully and stare at the mole on his cheek.

Sometimes, you just need a little calculus. Actually, no. Sometimes you just need some cold pizza and five straight episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Neither of which I have...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home