Saturday, May 01, 2004

Dear lord, UChicago joined The Facebook. Rita burst into my room around five this afternoon and screeched, "we're on the Facebook!!" And I'm already spending too much time on it. Well, we might as well all jump on the bandwagon before the inevitable news story hits about some homicidal stalker who got his victim's address off the Facebook, and then we'll have to go back to meeting people without technology again.

Um, the show went well again maybe? I want to describe the experience, but I feel like it's going to be yet another pointless addition to this blog, which obviously seems to be going down in flames. My recent posts seem rather... opaque, perhaps? Did I use that right? Come to think of it, can you make "right" into an adverb without substituting "correctly"? Do you see what I mean? I think this blog gets juicier when I have more to be unhappy about, but at this moment, I can count those on one hand.

Gracious, I'm having a terrible coughing fit all of a sudden.

I was thinking last night, in light of Mean Girls (which I haven't seen yet), that high school actually rewards individuality much more generously than college. When you dress funny or participate in some obscure activity in high school, you get immediate attention, even if it's negative attention (which is most often the case, I guess). But in college, you don't stick out so much. Like the kid who wears the cape and cowl around campus, who, I believe, finally stopped wearing it, because nobody cared. In college you only hang on to your idiosyncracies if you find that they're inseparable from your character, and I bet a lot of people discover that they were just kidding themselves in high school. In some ways, I really believe college is more conformist than high school, even though it's not an imposed conformity like the social pressure of high school. I think Kristen would probably disagree with me on this, but I sometimes think that the end goal of high school socially was not to avoid rocking the boat, but to make yourself stand out as an individual and make a lot of noise in whatever way possible, because there was a good chance that it was going to pay off in a way that would elevate you above the masses. Maybe it was just the overachievers who craved this kind of attention. Or... or maybe it was just me.

Wow, the iTunes shuffler is really firing on all cylinders this morning: Something Corportate's "Konstantine," Dar Williams's "Are You Out There," then Coldplay's "Trouble."

OK, shower, then I'm going to meet up with my parents and we're going to scavenge for cast gifts before I have to come back into my 5-8 page Romanticism take-home midterm response. Yeah. Fuckin' bold, man.

And register for The Facebook!! And why isn't WashU on there, damnit??

PS- The online-Oxford-English Dictionary was accessed 3 times in the writing of this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home