Saturday, May 29, 2004

Beth Orton - "Think About Tomorrow"

Death is the mother of beauty. And low expectations are the catalysts for good days.

1) My poetry T.A. brought in doughnuts for the last discussion. I wasn't even very hungry, but I really appreciated the gesture to make the last day feel like the last day. Yeats reads better over a Boston Creme anyhow. And when everyone is stuffing their faces with doughnuts, everybody stops taking the discussion so damn seriously.

2) I talked to Art Spiegelman! Actually, it wasn't so much a conversation as an expostulation and reply. There was a reception and luncheon for him where they served stuffed mushrooms. And his favorite comic strip in today's paper is "Mutts." Rock on, Art.

3) Last day of Romanticism discussion, thank God. I got to fill out a course evaluation on the T.A., but unfortunately, I'd come to like her since the first day when she announced that she disliked all poetry but would henceforth be leading a weekly discussion mostly on poetry. So the evaluation wasn't the essay-long expose I'd long dreamed about. Damn her.

4) Used-Book Sale at the Divinity School! For $5, I got Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins, a perfectly new Speaking With the Angel edited by Nick Hornby, a really cool pocket-edition of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and a two-in-one John Steinbeck, The Red Pony and The Pearl. The book sale was even cooler in light of the story my Civ professor told me last quarter, about how when he was a student here in 1991, a Romanian professor was murdered in the bathroom outside the Divinity School book sale as part of a sweeping purge of Romanian intellectuals actively against the new government in Romania. But what was even cooler: the discovered novelization of Back to the Future III!!

And then it was a pretty good evening, with Starsky and Hutch and then the final revue show of Off-Off Campus and then conversation at Suman's.

But today? I have three options: Romanticism paper, Poetry paper, or Hum paper. Hooray. At least it's gloomy outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home