Saturday, April 17, 2004

"They say this war is a cloud over these lands. But they make the weather, and then they stand in the rain and say, Shit! It's RAININ'!"

So I was all ready to hate my new Poetry T.A. after I was forced to switch sections, but then yesterday we walked into class and he told us that we were to promptly leave Wieboldt and have class on the quads. How could i hate him after that? Even if his attempt to explain meter using Johnny Cash backfired a little bit. I've also discovered that pigeons have a thing for my TA. At our first class last week, there were two pigeons right outside our window that were totally going at it, and he was forced to talk over their rhythmic coo-ing while I had to put my head down to keep myself from laughing. Then yesterday on the quads, as soon as he sat down beneath a tree all these pigeons just came out and started checkin' him out, pecking at his stuff, and generally strutting all kinds of circles around him. It was funny. Well. This is a bit of a non-story, isn't it? Moving on.

It's been so beautiful here, and it really feels like I'm going to a completely different school. Everyone's spending all the time they can out on the quads doing homework or playing the violin or, as Rita has apparently witnessed, spooning. There was only one toolish kid playing the guitar to a semi-circle of doe-eyed girls. Miniskirts and halter tops abound. An in the spirit of my futile and hypocrytical crusade to not judge people, I'm gonna say that I don't mind it so much when not especially attractive people where unflattering clothing when it's warm. I like it when the geeks here let there hair down a bit. It's endearing.

So last night plans got deflated, as plans are wont to do on Friday nights, so I read an entire Rolling Stone issue from front to back. Yes, I even read the articles. Then Julia and I made an impromptu dinner out of Bart Mart that consisted of corn flakes and rice krispies individual serving cereals, BBQ soy crisps, peach yogurt, and a pint of Cherry Garcia (the last one in the freezer) for later. Then it was on to Mystic River, which still has some great acting but it affected me less the second time around. As Jeremy pointed out, you could tell how much denser the book was because of all the subplots they just sorta let lie in the movie. The best part of the night, I think, was the preview they played for Cold Mountain. "They say this war is a cloud over these lands. But they make the weather, and then they stand in the rain and say, Shit! It's RAININ'!". I never realized how funny and overwrought that line is, at least in the trailer context, when it is so [OSCAR CLIP]!, because all the theater just burst into laughter. Oh Renee... You were still the best part of that movie.

I rode my bike to the lake early this morning to read some poetry for Romanticism. God, I love The Point. I saw my Hum teacher from fall quarter there, too. She was wearing a pink jacket and pigtails! It was the cutest thing ever! I was like, you taught me Plato! And then I got back and threw the softball around on the quad with Julia and we found that we could not remember Pete Sampras's name in addition to other Grand Slam champions, but we knew that Pete Sampras's wife was in Billy Madison and Andy Roddick has broken up with Mandy Moore. Then Bartlett caught on fire for the second time this morning, so we threw away more of my Flex on C-shop cinnamon rolls and sat outside while a mariachi band played in Hutch Courtyard.

Wow, is there anything better than getting a mix? I suppose if it's your birthday and you're expecting a good present from your friend/brother Drew and all he gives you is a lousy mix that he claims will change your life, than yes, you could imagine better things than a burned CD of obscure Todd Rundgren and Radiohead cuts. Well, I like it, and I've gotten two in the past week or so. I thought I'd post them because I've been thinking about mixes so much lately.

Kristen's NO MORE CHOCOLATE mix:
1. Oasis - She's Electric
2. Extreme - More Than Words
3. Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug
4. Peter, Paul, & Mary - For Lovin' Me
5. Cranberries - Dreaming My Dreams
6. Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
7. Dar Williams - The Christians and the Pagans
8. Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
9. Jim Croce - Walkin' Back to Georgia
10. Ben Kweller - Walk on Me
11. Coldplay - Everything's Not Lost
12. Cranberries - I Can't Be With You
13. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
14. Ben Folds - The Luckiest
15. Billy Bragg & Wilco - Someday Some Morning Sometime
16. Blind Melon - No Rain


That Ben Folds song is just irrationally sad, is it not? But I can't stop listening to it. It's really our kind of love song. And, as Jeremy said, more TV commercials could stand to use Blind Melon. But he's Republican.

And then I got Thomas's mix yesterday in Priority Mail, which he's been building up for about four months now as the end-all-be-all of mixes. Is it? Decide for yourself...!

1. Squirrel Nut Zippers - Got My Own Thing Now
2. Jimi Hendrix - Izabella
3. Fountains of Wayne - Mexican Wine
4. Pearl Jam - Alive
5. Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends
6. Steely Dan - FM
7. Wilco - Kingpin (Live @ Bumbershoot)
8. Eva Cassidy - Blues in the Night
9. Dave Matthews - Some Devil
10. Guster - Red Oyster Cult
11. Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop
12. Dave Matthews Band - Rapunzel
13. Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round (Like a Record)
14. Ben Folds Five - Boxing
15. They Might Be Giants - Minimum Wage
16. Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
17. Wilco - I Got You (At the End of the Century)
18. Paul Simon - American Tune
19. Collective Soul - Shine (Live @ Woodstock '94)


I have totally not listened to They Might Be Giants since 9th grade, but this moved to do so. Also to pull our Before These Crowded Streets, which reminds us of why we should hate the Dave Matthews fans, not Dave Matthews himself, except when he is being a tool, which is quite often in this new century.

Am I boring you? Well, I'll just wrap it up by saying how grateful I am for all this new music.

By the way, Helena continues to say such smart things. I wish she would come to UChicago after she leaves Scripps, because she could totally take on 10 Hum Fuckers at once with nary a look.

Also, Fleming kept gettin' all in my face yesterday, so she deserves a mention on this blog. I also never got to ask her why she appeared to be wearing a new shirt every time I saw her yesterday. Why? I guess we'll never know.

About time for rehearsal. It's going to be so hard to do homework for the rest of April between rehearsal and the beuatiful weather. Sigh... I wish Kristen were here to share it. She's out in the woods right now, and will probably have to camp in the rain tonight. I'm sure she wished she were here too.

Ahem.
"They say this war is a cloud over these lands. But they make the weather, and then they stand in the rain and say, Shit! It's RAININ'!"
(Just for the road.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home