I should probably blog sooner than later because I'll probably just end up blathering about the Oscars later. By the way, I'm predicting Sean Penn-Tim Robbins-Charlize Theron-Renee Zellweger and that American Splendor will get shafted for best screenplay, and that I will cry when Annie Lennox sings, especially if they show footage of Sean Astin carrying Elijah Wood or something.
My parents were here this weekend, and so naturally I acted like Baron Sulky von Sulk of Sulksylvania. I hate that I look forward to them coming for so long, and when they finally get here, I just want to get back into my normal routine. I hope that they didn't notice too much. We did some good stuff; I saw The Cooler which I wasn't actually expecting much out of, but it really pleasantly surprised me. I was also impressed with the girl who played William H. Macy's daughter-in-law, who turned out to be the mute girl in Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. Yeah, I know. And then we went to Harry Caray's restaurant and I oogled Ryne Sandburg's cleats, and then Saturday morning my mom and I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, which had a really cool exhibit on this woman, Lee Bontecou. It reminded me also of how much I love art museums and how I feel so at home in them. And also, because we get those cool little tin buttons to pin to our clothes in the lobby.
Oh, outside the theater Friday night I ran into ex-liason Fleming, but I was so freaked out about seeing her simultaneously with my parents, and it being randomly in the middle of the city far from campus, that I think my personal reality imploded and I just garbled something inane and embarrassed myself. Also, when I was running I saw Fleming walking on the other side of the street on Saturday. I feel these little mentions are necessary to secure her faithful readership of this blog. Check bi-weekly for more Fleming-updates.
The Hum paper that I was not looking forward to writing on "Sunday Morning" has suddenly turned into my magnum opus for this quarter. It's pretty exciting, actually, just getting into it; I even spent a half hour annotating all over the poem.
Yesterday was beautiful, so the whole campus crawled out of their holes to enjoy the sun. I even saw a group of picnicers in Bartlett Quad enjoying a bottle of white wine. Julia and I celebrated by playing catch in the quad outside Ryerson and Eckhardt and getting queer looks from Singaporean tourists (they all seem to come on Sunday mornings, seriously). I also ran by the lake. My iPod started playing Modest Mouse's "Dramamine," and if you've heard it, I think it's a great running song. The best running songs are those that don't necessarily take you outside the pain of the workout, but force you to confront it and even revel in it. Those are the ones that just have a certain sound and rhythm that takes the pain and integrates it into the music. It's kinda like one of those idealized Carnot heat engines (I think). It takes the pain out of you and converts it to energy which is put back into the system to drive it again. So you're really feeding off your own pain and exhaustion. If you now find yourself creeped out by me, I'll understand.
Anyway, the third outside activity was a rare moment spent with Care in a leisurely stroll around dusk. Some frat guys were cooking hamburgers on their porches. That's definitely a perk that would turn me to Greek life.
Well, I'm going to be late for chemistry now. In case you were wondering, I never finished this blog last night and so I had to continue it this (Monday) morning so there's a little ambiguity with the dates in this. Just call me if you need the footnotes.
Kristen comes in 4 days. This month apart's felt too long, which it shouldn't, because I feel less and less able to stop the distance from distracting me here. I think she's been much more successful at balancing a life in St. Louis with the time spent with me, and if I were smart I'd start acting more like her. But, alas, this has been the case since middle school. She sent me this picture yesterday, and I just have to show her off:
My parents were here this weekend, and so naturally I acted like Baron Sulky von Sulk of Sulksylvania. I hate that I look forward to them coming for so long, and when they finally get here, I just want to get back into my normal routine. I hope that they didn't notice too much. We did some good stuff; I saw The Cooler which I wasn't actually expecting much out of, but it really pleasantly surprised me. I was also impressed with the girl who played William H. Macy's daughter-in-law, who turned out to be the mute girl in Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. Yeah, I know. And then we went to Harry Caray's restaurant and I oogled Ryne Sandburg's cleats, and then Saturday morning my mom and I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, which had a really cool exhibit on this woman, Lee Bontecou. It reminded me also of how much I love art museums and how I feel so at home in them. And also, because we get those cool little tin buttons to pin to our clothes in the lobby.
Oh, outside the theater Friday night I ran into ex-liason Fleming, but I was so freaked out about seeing her simultaneously with my parents, and it being randomly in the middle of the city far from campus, that I think my personal reality imploded and I just garbled something inane and embarrassed myself. Also, when I was running I saw Fleming walking on the other side of the street on Saturday. I feel these little mentions are necessary to secure her faithful readership of this blog. Check bi-weekly for more Fleming-updates.
The Hum paper that I was not looking forward to writing on "Sunday Morning" has suddenly turned into my magnum opus for this quarter. It's pretty exciting, actually, just getting into it; I even spent a half hour annotating all over the poem.
Yesterday was beautiful, so the whole campus crawled out of their holes to enjoy the sun. I even saw a group of picnicers in Bartlett Quad enjoying a bottle of white wine. Julia and I celebrated by playing catch in the quad outside Ryerson and Eckhardt and getting queer looks from Singaporean tourists (they all seem to come on Sunday mornings, seriously). I also ran by the lake. My iPod started playing Modest Mouse's "Dramamine," and if you've heard it, I think it's a great running song. The best running songs are those that don't necessarily take you outside the pain of the workout, but force you to confront it and even revel in it. Those are the ones that just have a certain sound and rhythm that takes the pain and integrates it into the music. It's kinda like one of those idealized Carnot heat engines (I think). It takes the pain out of you and converts it to energy which is put back into the system to drive it again. So you're really feeding off your own pain and exhaustion. If you now find yourself creeped out by me, I'll understand.
Anyway, the third outside activity was a rare moment spent with Care in a leisurely stroll around dusk. Some frat guys were cooking hamburgers on their porches. That's definitely a perk that would turn me to Greek life.
Well, I'm going to be late for chemistry now. In case you were wondering, I never finished this blog last night and so I had to continue it this (Monday) morning so there's a little ambiguity with the dates in this. Just call me if you need the footnotes.
Kristen comes in 4 days. This month apart's felt too long, which it shouldn't, because I feel less and less able to stop the distance from distracting me here. I think she's been much more successful at balancing a life in St. Louis with the time spent with me, and if I were smart I'd start acting more like her. But, alas, this has been the case since middle school. She sent me this picture yesterday, and I just have to show her off:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home