I decided to hook up the ol' camera, so this blog shall be illustrated.
So Saturday was pleasantly unexpected. I got a random call from Uncle Bruce in Mundelein inviting me to spend some time with him and the boys (Charley and Ian) in the city; I think he wanted to take them out since Sophie has probably been stealing most of the attention. Meet Sophie, by the way:
Yup, first female Dir since my sister, and before that I don't think we've had one since the 19th century or something. But anyhow, Bruce and the kids went to the Children's museum on Navy Pier in the morning, and then I met up with them at the Hancock tower in the afternoon. The city looks pretty cool in the wintertime, especially in that picture of Navy Pier jutting out into the ice plain of Lake Michigan:
After that, we went to a Goose Island Brewery west of the loop where my uncle regaled me with all kinds of brewery knowledge. See, his dream job is to run a brewhouse restaurant and distribute his own beer; right now he brews his own beer on a small scale at home (he also cooks and makes his own salsa, Juicy Bruicy). It always amazes me when he talks about that kinda stuff. And I find that I am constantly being surprised by aspects of my family I never knew. Like how my uncle Bruice was originally a history major. I guess you have to know my family to be surprised by this, but I'm finding it easier to trace my own personality through my family now (which seemed impossible before). And get this, Daniel: my uncle, for a college talent show, performed The Blues Brothers with a friend.
So it was a good afternoon, and my uncle, a wealth of information still, informed me that there are, indeed, things to do in Chicago; which some of us were beginning to doubt for a while. Julia gives me lots of pro-New York propoganda, but it's nice to remember sometimes why I like this city so much.
At Improv Olympic, the Armando Diaz Experience wasn't as great as two weeks ago, but I found it interesting to pick out what worked and what didn't within the format, and I can still think of no better way to spend a Saturday night. I wish some of you could visit.
Super Bowl Sunday is today, which should have little to no bearing on my life, but I always enjoy Super Bowl Sundays, and I'm quite fond of the parties I've been to in high school. The ones that stick out are the ones at Derek Mrozik's, and then that night at Cotillion (middle school) where Chris Fossum wore his Broncos jersey beneath his blazer. Cotillion, hehe. Eh.
More pictures I've taken of winter weather, enjoy...
The Midway around 5:00 in the afternoon adjacent to the UC Press, my walk home from work. See Harper Library way off in the distance? Yeah. And then I'm still three blocks from home.
So Saturday was pleasantly unexpected. I got a random call from Uncle Bruce in Mundelein inviting me to spend some time with him and the boys (Charley and Ian) in the city; I think he wanted to take them out since Sophie has probably been stealing most of the attention. Meet Sophie, by the way:
Yup, first female Dir since my sister, and before that I don't think we've had one since the 19th century or something. But anyhow, Bruce and the kids went to the Children's museum on Navy Pier in the morning, and then I met up with them at the Hancock tower in the afternoon. The city looks pretty cool in the wintertime, especially in that picture of Navy Pier jutting out into the ice plain of Lake Michigan:
After that, we went to a Goose Island Brewery west of the loop where my uncle regaled me with all kinds of brewery knowledge. See, his dream job is to run a brewhouse restaurant and distribute his own beer; right now he brews his own beer on a small scale at home (he also cooks and makes his own salsa, Juicy Bruicy). It always amazes me when he talks about that kinda stuff. And I find that I am constantly being surprised by aspects of my family I never knew. Like how my uncle Bruice was originally a history major. I guess you have to know my family to be surprised by this, but I'm finding it easier to trace my own personality through my family now (which seemed impossible before). And get this, Daniel: my uncle, for a college talent show, performed The Blues Brothers with a friend.
So it was a good afternoon, and my uncle, a wealth of information still, informed me that there are, indeed, things to do in Chicago; which some of us were beginning to doubt for a while. Julia gives me lots of pro-New York propoganda, but it's nice to remember sometimes why I like this city so much.
At Improv Olympic, the Armando Diaz Experience wasn't as great as two weeks ago, but I found it interesting to pick out what worked and what didn't within the format, and I can still think of no better way to spend a Saturday night. I wish some of you could visit.
Super Bowl Sunday is today, which should have little to no bearing on my life, but I always enjoy Super Bowl Sundays, and I'm quite fond of the parties I've been to in high school. The ones that stick out are the ones at Derek Mrozik's, and then that night at Cotillion (middle school) where Chris Fossum wore his Broncos jersey beneath his blazer. Cotillion, hehe. Eh.
More pictures I've taken of winter weather, enjoy...
The Midway around 5:00 in the afternoon adjacent to the UC Press, my walk home from work. See Harper Library way off in the distance? Yeah. And then I'm still three blocks from home.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home