Friday, February 13, 2004

The gym that's kitty corner from my dorm is under minor interior construction, so there were a bunch of construction workers examining fixtures and stuff right next to my treadmill this week. One day after I'd just finished running, the worker nearest me, who was standing on a ladder, said to me, "You know, if I was half as lazy as I am, I might be exercising with y'all!" And so I said, amicably, "Don't be so hard on yourself, it takes a lot of work to climb that ladder!" and we laughed together. Until we both realized that I had kinda insulted his whole career, and I got out of there pretty quickly.

Man, I've been a wreck this week. Last weekend in St. Louis with Kristen was great: we ate out, visited the Arch, watched High Fidelity (my comfort movie), partook briefly in some DDR, and stayed up late just talking. It was such a refreshing weekend, and because of it, I feel horrible this week. Before this I never really had a problem with leaving each other temporarily, even way back in August when she first left, but for some reason this time it cut pretty deep. Maybe it's just this long bleak spring that's lying ahead of us. And last night, we figured out that we can only see each other once in March. Our rule is to not let one month pass before we see each other, but so far, it's been difficult to maintain that.

I seem pretty busy this quarter, but it feels like I've got all this time to wander the vast tundras in my mind. Yeah, pretty cool metaphor, huh? Whenever we studied biomes in Biology, I'd always choose the tundra to study and present to the class. Tundras are long, cold, icy plains covered in tough lichen. Me and tundras, we understand each other. But yeah, I'm working 16 hours a week at the Press, I'm taking 4 classes, and I've got tour guide interviews coming out my ears. And yet, nothing really is distracting me from my thoughts. I'd really like something to mentally distract me, like an art project or something, but those are pretty sparse her at the University of Chicago. The University of Chicago: an academic... tundra.

I think my parents are coming the weekend of the 26th. I'm looking forward to it, actually. My sister called me the other night to ask my advice on courses next year at Milton. Mr. Jones is teaching Calc BC, so I told her to take it. And Serkie's teaching a fall semester class called "Current Affairs"-- pretty sweet, eh? Not only that, but Milton offers AP Economics now. Double-you. Tee. Eff.

Saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time Wednesday night at DOC. Yes, Aniele, the first time. I think it made me happier than anything else this week.

By the way, I finish my finals on Monday the 15th, so I have spring break from then until the 28th. a) Does anyone have their spring break over the former portion of those two weeks and 2) am I going to be able to catch a Milton Studio Theatre show?

That's it for now, hopefully it'll be less than 10 days until the next time I blog. Aniele, good luck with Vagina Monologues! And that's two shout-outs in one blog, you canucklehead, so there'd better be some comments; and lay off Conan O'Brien up there, will ya?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home