Rilo Kiley - "Pictures of Success"
I had my interview with the University of Chicago Press yesterday. The job is with the academic exhibits department, which consists of only about 2 people, which were these two women interviewing me. They were very young and pretty, but incredibly soft-spoken. So much so that, at times, it felt like I was having to coax complete sentences from them. They described the job, and showed me around the department (an office and 2 cubicles), and asked me no questions. I don't think they could've learned a single thing about me they didn't already know from my e-mail. I suppose the nature of the job doesn't really require lots of higher-level skills, but I can't tell from their interviewing style how they would compare two applicants if they know nothing about them. I have this suspicion that they grazed over the part in the email where I said I was a first-year (which I made sure was the first sentence, by the way), and the moment they laid eyes on me they just went "Oh, shit." So I don't think it was a very good interview, but I can't tell how it could have been better.
I hope I get this job because I've had this bad feeling that I'm somehow unhirable. Like there's something about me that is undesirable to employers. Jobs don't come easily to me. On the other hand, if I don't get the job, I'll have the chance to audition for a part that opened up in one of the plays. Because I've been getting the performance itch lately.
I've had some fruitful conversations and received some great letters lately from friends that should be helping me with my life. I find that if I keep them at the tip of my mind, it gives me some temporary help. If I've talked to you in the past couple of days, I'm very grateful to you.
I should be off to breakfast now so I can beat the chick who always blocks the toaster. Your bagel is not the only bagel in the world that needs toasting this morning!
Today also begins the first day of my new running schedule. Because self-medicating is OK as long as you do it with endorphins.
I had my interview with the University of Chicago Press yesterday. The job is with the academic exhibits department, which consists of only about 2 people, which were these two women interviewing me. They were very young and pretty, but incredibly soft-spoken. So much so that, at times, it felt like I was having to coax complete sentences from them. They described the job, and showed me around the department (an office and 2 cubicles), and asked me no questions. I don't think they could've learned a single thing about me they didn't already know from my e-mail. I suppose the nature of the job doesn't really require lots of higher-level skills, but I can't tell from their interviewing style how they would compare two applicants if they know nothing about them. I have this suspicion that they grazed over the part in the email where I said I was a first-year (which I made sure was the first sentence, by the way), and the moment they laid eyes on me they just went "Oh, shit." So I don't think it was a very good interview, but I can't tell how it could have been better.
I hope I get this job because I've had this bad feeling that I'm somehow unhirable. Like there's something about me that is undesirable to employers. Jobs don't come easily to me. On the other hand, if I don't get the job, I'll have the chance to audition for a part that opened up in one of the plays. Because I've been getting the performance itch lately.
I've had some fruitful conversations and received some great letters lately from friends that should be helping me with my life. I find that if I keep them at the tip of my mind, it gives me some temporary help. If I've talked to you in the past couple of days, I'm very grateful to you.
I should be off to breakfast now so I can beat the chick who always blocks the toaster. Your bagel is not the only bagel in the world that needs toasting this morning!
Today also begins the first day of my new running schedule. Because self-medicating is OK as long as you do it with endorphins.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home