I've come to the startling conclusion that I actually feel more comfortable at school than I do at home. I don't like thinking this, but I'm afraid it's really quite true; sitting here, it feels like I'm more at peace with myself than I was during the past 3 weeks back in Alpharetta. For once, I can't offer any kind of explanation. It's probably a combination of lots of neuroses, or maybe the simple discomfort that comes from being in a rut. I think Chicago still seems new and fresh to me, and for some reason new places calm me down. (Well, I guess I ended up giving an explanation after all).
I was kind of a shitty friend during the break, and I didn't see nearly as much as everybody as I should have. Especially John; I meant to stop by yesterday, but never got around to it. I should make some sort of unofficial announcement here that Thomas has now moved to Rhode Island. They did a whirlwind packing job and shipped out before the new year. I think it happened too fast to really have an effect on me. Anyhow, the cosmos have been slowly pulling the two of us apart for years: first the public school system made sure we never had the same class, then Thomas leaves for Andover, then we both leave for college, and now the move. There was finality to him leaving this time, though. We've been saying goodbye for so long, but always with the post-script "See you next ______." We can't say that now, because we have no clue when we'll see each other next. I think the universe has finally succeeded in severing our physical ties, so much so that I could almost hear the *snap* like knife through bone. It was so sudden, it struck me as the first true break with what will soon become my "old life."
But realistically, I'm sure we'll be able to see each other at least once a year. Anyway, between seeing Thomas, seeing Kristen, and seeing my family (and visiting relatives...), I didn't get to see much of anyone else, even though I still feel I didn't spend enough time with anybody. So if you got the impression that I'm trying to dissolve our relationship, I promise you I'm not.
It also didn't help that I've been sick. And still am sick. Even if I wanted to audition for something this week, I have no voice to do so, unless they have roles for chronic emphysema patients. On the job front, I'm going to put in an app for working "visitor control" at the Smart Museum of Art, which does not mean, apparently, that I get to carry a gun. I also sent an "email in the dark," so to speak, for a position with the UC press, which would be cool if I had a ghost of a chance.
What else? Guns, Germs, & Steel was a rewarding read. I think he's absolutely right-on with everything he says, and he certainly supports it all with good information, I just wish he was a more interesting writer. Still, one of my best memories of this winter break was being awake at 6:30 Christmas morning and reading GG&S before the Christmas tree with a hot mug of Coffee+Nog. I also read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, which came from Kristen from her friend at WashU. It's a coming-of-age story about depressed Japanese students who remind me of people I know, which is oversimplified, but sometimes it's the simple books that just sit well with you. And I find myself becoming more fond of it over time. Finally, I read Al Franken's Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, which was just beautiful, because whatever your politics you can't help but laugh at someone who publicly humiliates idiots like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. And he has some good, well-researched points, too. If you buy one liberal muck-raking book this year, make it Al Franken's.
Up next: Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, and then back to Fictionland with Clarke's The Princess Bride.
Quick Movie Recap:
Return of the King: Knocked the fucking ball out of the park on this one, PJ. Saw it twice, awaiting a third showing.
Big Fish: Fishy start, sweet finish.
Cold Mountain: Nothing terribly original, but it's well-done, which is a lot to ask for these days.
Elf: Disappointing, but I prefaced it with a viewing of SNL's Best of Will Ferrell, and "More Cowbell" sets expectations too high.
Confidence: Is it wrong that I dislike heist movies? I think it's because they strike me as too easy to make. They're conducive to script-writing because every scene has an objective, so all the movie has to do is fill half the cast with seasoned actors and half with rising stars and wait for the critical pandering. It's just too formulaic, and I also thought Edward Burns was miscast.
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys: Liked it more than I thought I would, but what the hell is up with the ending? Also, the animation sucked, and really killed the quality of the movie.
It's cold here. Did you know that snow is slippery? Snow is slippery.
I almost got the chance to get a single on the floor above me, but I think that's about to fall through. Unless I can get my competition to take up smoking.
I was kind of a shitty friend during the break, and I didn't see nearly as much as everybody as I should have. Especially John; I meant to stop by yesterday, but never got around to it. I should make some sort of unofficial announcement here that Thomas has now moved to Rhode Island. They did a whirlwind packing job and shipped out before the new year. I think it happened too fast to really have an effect on me. Anyhow, the cosmos have been slowly pulling the two of us apart for years: first the public school system made sure we never had the same class, then Thomas leaves for Andover, then we both leave for college, and now the move. There was finality to him leaving this time, though. We've been saying goodbye for so long, but always with the post-script "See you next ______." We can't say that now, because we have no clue when we'll see each other next. I think the universe has finally succeeded in severing our physical ties, so much so that I could almost hear the *snap* like knife through bone. It was so sudden, it struck me as the first true break with what will soon become my "old life."
But realistically, I'm sure we'll be able to see each other at least once a year. Anyway, between seeing Thomas, seeing Kristen, and seeing my family (and visiting relatives...), I didn't get to see much of anyone else, even though I still feel I didn't spend enough time with anybody. So if you got the impression that I'm trying to dissolve our relationship, I promise you I'm not.
It also didn't help that I've been sick. And still am sick. Even if I wanted to audition for something this week, I have no voice to do so, unless they have roles for chronic emphysema patients. On the job front, I'm going to put in an app for working "visitor control" at the Smart Museum of Art, which does not mean, apparently, that I get to carry a gun. I also sent an "email in the dark," so to speak, for a position with the UC press, which would be cool if I had a ghost of a chance.
What else? Guns, Germs, & Steel was a rewarding read. I think he's absolutely right-on with everything he says, and he certainly supports it all with good information, I just wish he was a more interesting writer. Still, one of my best memories of this winter break was being awake at 6:30 Christmas morning and reading GG&S before the Christmas tree with a hot mug of Coffee+Nog. I also read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, which came from Kristen from her friend at WashU. It's a coming-of-age story about depressed Japanese students who remind me of people I know, which is oversimplified, but sometimes it's the simple books that just sit well with you. And I find myself becoming more fond of it over time. Finally, I read Al Franken's Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, which was just beautiful, because whatever your politics you can't help but laugh at someone who publicly humiliates idiots like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. And he has some good, well-researched points, too. If you buy one liberal muck-raking book this year, make it Al Franken's.
Up next: Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, and then back to Fictionland with Clarke's The Princess Bride.
Quick Movie Recap:
Return of the King: Knocked the fucking ball out of the park on this one, PJ. Saw it twice, awaiting a third showing.
Big Fish: Fishy start, sweet finish.
Cold Mountain: Nothing terribly original, but it's well-done, which is a lot to ask for these days.
Elf: Disappointing, but I prefaced it with a viewing of SNL's Best of Will Ferrell, and "More Cowbell" sets expectations too high.
Confidence: Is it wrong that I dislike heist movies? I think it's because they strike me as too easy to make. They're conducive to script-writing because every scene has an objective, so all the movie has to do is fill half the cast with seasoned actors and half with rising stars and wait for the critical pandering. It's just too formulaic, and I also thought Edward Burns was miscast.
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys: Liked it more than I thought I would, but what the hell is up with the ending? Also, the animation sucked, and really killed the quality of the movie.
It's cold here. Did you know that snow is slippery? Snow is slippery.
I almost got the chance to get a single on the floor above me, but I think that's about to fall through. Unless I can get my competition to take up smoking.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home