Friday, January 16, 2004

I have this crazy idea that I'm going to participate in Kuvia Kangeiko, which is a week-long winter festival that the college holds. Every evening there's an event like ice skating or ice sculpture, but every morning, Henry Crowd Field House offers an activity like Judo or Fencing at 6am. And if you participate every morning of the week, on Friday you walk to Lake Michigan to watch the sun rise and you get a free t-shirt. It sounds like something I could do. I already maintain the sleeping habits of a 65 year-old man, so, really, it wouldn't be that big of an adjustment.

I've now been running a good three days in a row between or before my morning classes, and the schedule is clicking quite nicely. Running indoors isn't as boring as I thought. And it's really making me feel good. Mentally, I mean.

European Civ is proving to be very lackluster this quarter. Believe it or not, it feels like I learned everything I could from Ms. Crockett's class. For some reason, I've retained a very large amount of information on the French Revolution, and having so much understanding of the facts makes me realize how empty these vague "discussions of ideas and texts" are. It's starting to make me doubt how valid my civ education has been this year.

Chem is boring and difficult as usual. But now my humanities class isn't so great either. Not only does the professor just like to hear himself speak, he's taught this particular core class so many times before that I think he's bored with the material, so he tries to elicit discussion about social implications and feminism and racism in texts that have nothing to do with those. And I have no idea how Biology is, because I did not attend class all week.

In conclusion, my classes are crap this quarter. It really kinda sucks, and I'm worried how long my work ethic will last running on zero intellectual interest. Spring quarter, however, has miraculously opened up without me noticing. I have my humanities class, and a french class, and then I'll take my art class, and then I have room for something entirely for me. How unprecedented.

I'm going to try and have fun this weekend. I've been dreading the weekends lately, but I'm determined to make this one memorable. Tonight we're seeing Return of the King again in the city, and Saturday night we'll be returning to Improv Olympic. And, hell, I might even go to a party tonight after the movie. Stranger things have happened, although none in recent memory come to mind.

I didn't get the part in the play, but I've gotten over it pretty quickly. I'm feeling good at the moment. I have the seedling of some kind of optimism, and I'm doing my best to nurture it and keep it from being stepped on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home