Friday, January 30, 2004

I get paid to stalk people at work. It's true. I spent all day today tracking down a list of academic authors and finding them via private university directories, then taking down their email addresses and phone numbers. I'm pretty good at it, actually. Stalking, that is.

Oh, Kathy Cox. I log on to Yahoo News, and what do I see? "The state's school superintendent has proposed striking the word evolution from Georgia's science curriculum and replacing it with the phrase "biological changes over time." Why does our home state have to be such a re-re? Can't we read one headline thats says "Georgia Turning Out to be Pretty Smart"..?

I've been listening to the Return of the King soundtrack and anticipating the part in the movie where Aragorn says "You bow to know one," and we see all of Gondor kneel before the hobbits. You're right, Nick, that part gets me every time, too.

Do you ever get nostalgic for area codes? One of the authors I was online-stalking today is an Emory professor, and her phone number was (404). I got a little misty... I remember when I used to take punching in (404) for granted.

I went to a lecture for my Hum class last night on Nietzsche. The visiting professor was one of those speakers who you wouldn't say is inherently interesting, but he's a good speaker in that he lets the subject of his lecture be the star, so you don't notice the speaker, just the ideas that he's communicating. So he let The Birth of Tragedy speak for itself, and I'm finding that book really interesting, but the way he communicated it made me forget how horrible my Hum discussions are right now. It's gotten me thinking all day about Apollo and Dionysus, and the Socratic effect, and all this very fun heady academic stuff. I don't know, last night I got this feeling that I was actually doing what I'd hoped I would be doing a year ago, like I'd finally reached that idyllic collegiate lifestyle that I so wanted. It helped that it was snowing outside, and the lecture hall was this cozy wood-paneled drawing-room with chandeliers, so I don't know if my collegiate feelings are all that transcendental.

Tonight: Bubba Ho-Tep, and maybe swing dancing, but probably just staying in and reading some Nietzsche since everyone has a visiting friend or lover in town this weekend. Also: many repeated listens to "Too Much Brandy" by The Streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home