Wednesday, December 24, 2003

WARNING: This blog contains Mild Thematic Elements.

Well, the month of December continues to be sapped of its Christmas cheer as I get older. Most everyone I talk to agrees. Kristen thinks that college marks a low point in our enjoyment of Christmas, after which we'll enjoy it again with our own families. I have to agree.

The remedy for this collegiate depression is The Muppet Christmas Carol which, in addition to being the best holiday movie ever, is the single best adaptation of Charles Dickens's book ever. I'm prepared to defend that statement, too; take a look at the screenplay. It integrates an incredible amount of Dickens's own words. I previously enjoyed A Very Merry Muppet Christmas at Daniel's house, despite the warning that it contained MILD THEMATIC ELEMENTS. After that and Runaway Bride last night, I wish Joan Cusack was my aunt and could come over for Christmas dinner and stuff, and then she could bring her brother and we could hang out and talk about Cameron Crowe and it would be A Very Cusack Christmas.

When I search for 'john denver christmas' on Kazaa, the first thing that comes up is the Guns n Roses cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a Christmas Miracle!

So the last few days I've been spending every waking second I can with Kristen, which has just felt really good and made me temporarily forget all the things that have been bothering me. When she's back in my daily life, I feel at some stage of equilibrium. I love that we pick right back up where we left off. I still have those moments when my little 8th grade self bangs on the inside of my head and screams "DUDE! It's you and Kristen!!!" and I smile. Her family gave me a Disney Storybook Ornament Set of Nightmare Before Christmas figures which comes in this badass book which is almost cooler than the ornaments themselves. By the way, I don't know when The Nightmare Before Christmas was suddenly claimed by the 16-year-old Hot Topic gothic skater crowd, but I'd like it back, please.

I had a rough time finding gifts for my parents this year, especially my mom, which seems to augment the awkwardness I've been feeling around them lately. I'm finding that I have very little to say to them, which really makes me feel like shit. Maybe this is just a phase of coming back from college.

Today is the Drayton's Christmas party, where, God willing, there will be more Muppets. I don't know how talking felt puppets became so closely connected with the birth of Jesus in my head, but it's here to stay, and my cup overfloweth with things Henson this year. Up next: John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together.

Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home