Now I know how to pronounce "Cirith Ungol."
Despite the comedic bliss of Will Ferrell's "More Cowbell" skit, I think that my favorite "modern" SNL skit has to be Maya Rudolph's "Wake Up Wakefield." It's funny while being really quite honest, and I get the feeling that writers and cast alike are really drawing on their own childhoods. Junior High is a difficult thing to portray, I think, because it's hard to represent something that was really just so weird. It's hard to get it right, is what I'm saying, and "Wake Up Wakefield" gets it right.
Return of the King kicked ass, as we all knew it would. I think it was definitely superior to the first two, even though we had to sit in the very front row and Kirsten Dunst's chin almost killed us during the previews. I liked how the film depicted the story in a far more interesting manner than I ever imagined while reading the book, especially everything with Frodo and Sam in Mordor. That's a great thing to do, and I think the power of these movies lies on everybody involved thinking of the coolest things they ever imagined when they read the book and then implementing them into the movie. I hate Oscar, but I think Peter Jackson actually has a realistic chance this year. I read the very small handful of negative reviews on rottentomatoes.com, and I get the feeling that the people who don't like the movies simply don't get them. And the geek in me kind of likes that the Lord of the Rings isn't universally accessible, because for a while it was nice be only one of 4 kids in the 8th grade who was privvy to the secrets of Middle Earth.
Kristen comes home tomorrow, finally. As good as it is to see friends, a much larger portion of the day is spent with parents or just by myself, which is producing bad side effects. The whole brain being stuck in first gear thing I mean, making up problems that aren't really there with Kristen, alcohol, and school. I don't like saying that I'd rather be at college, especially after you had to sit through all those homesick blogs, but I've felt that more than once this week. You know, Internet, I used to profoundly believe that I was immune to depression. I never used to understand why people got depressed, and I took it as a personal merit that I could sap happiness from any experience (and if not, I could always romanticize my problems). I think becoming a cynic, for me, has to do with the fact that I now have to face all those everyday adult problems that everyone used to tell me I'd have to oneday experience. There's a Sherwood Anderson story I read called "Sophistication" that indirectly addresses this, so if you've read it, you deserve a cookie.
Anyway, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow. Kristen, and Return of the King again! Signing off, I am Sheldon!!
Despite the comedic bliss of Will Ferrell's "More Cowbell" skit, I think that my favorite "modern" SNL skit has to be Maya Rudolph's "Wake Up Wakefield." It's funny while being really quite honest, and I get the feeling that writers and cast alike are really drawing on their own childhoods. Junior High is a difficult thing to portray, I think, because it's hard to represent something that was really just so weird. It's hard to get it right, is what I'm saying, and "Wake Up Wakefield" gets it right.
Return of the King kicked ass, as we all knew it would. I think it was definitely superior to the first two, even though we had to sit in the very front row and Kirsten Dunst's chin almost killed us during the previews. I liked how the film depicted the story in a far more interesting manner than I ever imagined while reading the book, especially everything with Frodo and Sam in Mordor. That's a great thing to do, and I think the power of these movies lies on everybody involved thinking of the coolest things they ever imagined when they read the book and then implementing them into the movie. I hate Oscar, but I think Peter Jackson actually has a realistic chance this year. I read the very small handful of negative reviews on rottentomatoes.com, and I get the feeling that the people who don't like the movies simply don't get them. And the geek in me kind of likes that the Lord of the Rings isn't universally accessible, because for a while it was nice be only one of 4 kids in the 8th grade who was privvy to the secrets of Middle Earth.
Kristen comes home tomorrow, finally. As good as it is to see friends, a much larger portion of the day is spent with parents or just by myself, which is producing bad side effects. The whole brain being stuck in first gear thing I mean, making up problems that aren't really there with Kristen, alcohol, and school. I don't like saying that I'd rather be at college, especially after you had to sit through all those homesick blogs, but I've felt that more than once this week. You know, Internet, I used to profoundly believe that I was immune to depression. I never used to understand why people got depressed, and I took it as a personal merit that I could sap happiness from any experience (and if not, I could always romanticize my problems). I think becoming a cynic, for me, has to do with the fact that I now have to face all those everyday adult problems that everyone used to tell me I'd have to oneday experience. There's a Sherwood Anderson story I read called "Sophistication" that indirectly addresses this, so if you've read it, you deserve a cookie.
Anyway, tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow. Kristen, and Return of the King again! Signing off, I am Sheldon!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home