Monday, November 03, 2003

The funny thing about the required humanities core classes here is that everyone complains about all the stupid people who raise their hands to make irrelevant, self-satisfying comments during discussions. But if everyone I've talked to is complaining of this, then who are the people making the annoying comments? Does the College pay them to be here to give the regular students a self-esteem boost? I think the problem lies in the fact that nobody has the proper self-consciousness to recognize that they're making ridiculous, off-hand comments. In other words, everyone assumes that they're the only one who really understands the material that's being discussed, and are usually disappointed when the everyone in the room isn't startled into a profound revery by their comment.

This includes me, of course. I thought I'd reign in my ego by refraining from speech, but it's only fueled my superiority complex. Because now I either pass judgement on the intellectual ability of every member of the class, or I sit back and admire my act as the dark brooding genius who never speaks because his intelligence surpasses the very nature of the course. I swear, I was never like this in high school; maybe it just comes from being thrown into a competitive scenario. Maybe I need to start making more obvious, self-referential comments in class.

I watched The Shining last night. How I love that movie. I love it because it's totally a non-movie. The plot pretty much falls apart in the middle, story threads just lead to nowhere, and Scatman Crothers is killed way too early and totally wasted. Every shot of Shelley Duvall eating a cracker is made more entertaining by the fact that it was probably the 362nd cracker that Stanley Kubrick made her eat. I think the reason the movie is so scary is because the movie itself is not right... in the head.

Not missing Georgia weather, but verily missing friends. Have entertained notions of going to UGA instead so I wouldn't be paying 150K to become a high school teacher.

This conversation came up way back during the first week of school, but I think it's very true that all English majors will tell you they're planning on teaching or publishing or taking on some sensible occupation, but secretly they're all planning to write a book after college that will leave them financially secure and nullify the need for an actual "job." All English majors are would-be writers, it's a known fact. Rita knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home