Tuesday, October 21, 2003

"Well you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold
You can fall for pretty strangers and the promises they hold
You promised me everything you promised me thick and thin"


It's my personal belief that if you don't like Dire Straits's "Romeo and Juliet," you're missing some crucial part of your soul that defines your humanity. Naturally, Kristen thinks its sappy trite, which I have to somehow reconcile every time I wake up in the morning.

Fucking key. There's definitely a universal law that decrees that you'll lock yourself out of your room at the end of a bad day. It's like a poison cherry on the top of a big rotten vanilla cake. Fucking vanilla. I think I made mucho mistake taking these math and science classes. General Chemistry really has me by the balls. I don't understand charge and how it relates to particles, or how to construct VSEPR models, or significant figures. What the hell is with significant figures? If you're a scientist and you're trying to find a cure for cancer, you do not round digits! You use every bleeping digit your calculator gives you! The homework is craziness, it takes me forever because I don't understand anything, so I end up searching through the text or browsing the web to check if anyone decided to post what the formal charge for xenon fluoride is (they did, by the way). Calculus is equally difficult; I spent two non-consecutive hours in the Regenstein Library working on math, and I only got half of the 12 assigned problems done, and their answers are questionable. The only redeeming quality of my Calc 152 class is that my professor should play Joe Kavalier in the film adaptation of Kavalier & Clay.

I'm not having fun with Henry V, for no other reason than I still don't know anybody and it seems like the kind of group I wouldn't be able to fit in with. I feel like 3-names in B-Club. The kid playing the King of France, however, sounds exactly like Orson Welles, and I wish to befriend him only so I can ask him to say "the same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"

I plugged my iPod into a friend's Mac the other day, and I discovered that I had pictures from Jason that he had loaded in August! So I got really excited, and started longing for the skanky leather couch. This is now my desktop wallpaper, incidentally.

Errrgh. I very much adore my Humanities class, though. I find that if I resolve myself to not enter the first hour of class discussion, I'm not pre-occupied with thinking of something to say, hence I actually listen to everybody else and learn something, and then I'm able to prepare something mind-blowing to say in the last 20 minutes that totally usurpes every opinion expressed in the last 60 minutes. And I know I turned in a kick-ass Beowulf paper yesterday, so I'll be disappointed if nobody less than J.R.R. Tolkien rises from the grave to shake my hand and give me an "A."

Calc midterm is Friday; nevertheless, I am setting aside a few hours tomorrow to go into the Loop and see "Kill Bill" again. I have a 5-hour lab Thursday, and then in come the parents. So goes the week.

Also, my roommate is a hermit. He verily never leaves our room except for class or the occasional IM football game or college bowl practice. He's taken to bringing back his meals from the dining hall and eating them in solitude. I feel sorry for him, because he obviously hasn't made very many friends, but all the same, I need some room-time to myself every now and then, and I find myself spending more and more free time outside the room because of his presence. It's also because I feel self-conscious playing Cindy Lauper when I'm not alone.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home