Thursday, October 30, 2003

There are no new blogs to read this morning, so it looks like I'm going to have to write my own. Yesterday was a rare day in which everything went my way; alternatively, there was virtually no productivity to be had in the homework department. I've seen this inverse relationship at work many times before.

Even Henry V rehearsal went well. I got good notes on character, where as before I have been basically ignored by the director. There's another scene I'm in where I'm playing a Scottish captain who's disputing with an Irishman, but in our version we take on regional American roles; so the Irishman is from Boston, the guy playing Capt. Fluellen graduated from the R. Lee Ermy School of Acting, and I whipped out my Brainard accent for the first time last night, down to turning all my ay's to eh's. The whole scene is really bizarre and funny, if only on the level of "look at the wacky regional stereotypes," and the director gave a satisfactory "Thank you, Marge Gunderson" which, for a second, reminded my of my golden days as a Laugh Whore on the milton stage.

I also got the news of Ben Folds, who is indeed playing with Ben Lee in our campus auditorium next Saturday night. I was worried that Kristen wouldn't be able to get in since she's not a UC student, but I think it's all going to work out well, and we'll finally fulfill our mutual dream of seeing Ben Folds live. In the meantime, I have to compile a requested set list for him to follow, which includes nothing from Reinhold Messner, only the songs I know from Rockin' the Suburbs, and "Last Polka" as the show-stopping finale.

I also had my Halloween costume ready in time for our dorm building's Costume Study Break. I dressed up as Max Palevsky Residential Commons, our multi-colored dorm building, which probably will only make sense to two people here. Anyway, I would have won, but the voting was based on cheering, and excuse me, only Marc Summers has the skills to judge a vote-by-cheer. In the end, only 5 Max West people were available to cheer, minus Phil who was busy hitting on the girl in the Swiss-Army Knife costume (yes, Thomas, that Phil), so the douche in the bad Neo costume won with all the help of his Max East friends.

Despite the anti-horror polarization of my house, I'm pursuing a mini-Halloween Film Festival through this weekend where I'm showing The Ring, The Shining, Sleepy Hollow, Young Frankenstein, etc. in the house lounge at 10. Oh man, NOBODY here has seen The Ring, and I'm happy to be the harbinger of a collective sack of bad dreams.

I've also decided to start Virgina Woolf's To the Lighthouse, because I saw it on display at the bookstore and made the connection to Daniel's blog. I also get to read The Picture of Dorian Gray for my Media Aesthetics class, which is indeed kicking ass the second time around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home