So the Great Chicago Academic Machine is finally starting to gear up, and I'm already feeling a little in over my head. Not that it's really all that harder than junior year, though. Incidentally, my sister has a low-to-middling B in Serkedakis this year, but she's earning A's left and right in Herr Caswell's class. More proof that our genes are merely inversed. Oh-- and it turns out that our house has become ground zero for construction on the junior Homecoming float. Wicked! I remember working on our [sucky] Junior float at Erin Smitherman's house, where it was pretty much her plantation slaves who did all the work.
This suddenly reminds me, I remember working on it one Saturday, and Jonathan Layer was there for a reason I can't recall, and there was also a TV crew from Nickelodeon who happened to be there, because Mr. Smitherman is in something adjacent to television, and the Nickelodeon people were doing short interviews with 8-12 year-old kids about their reactions to September 11, and they were using the barn in which we were working as a backdrop. I haven't thougt of that in 2 years.
Anyway... this weekend I'm gonna see me some movies! I'm catching a late show of Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman tonight at DOC. Friday night is the screening of Pirates at DOC, then Saturday is hopefully a double-feature of Intolerable Cruelty and Kill Bill. There's also a screening of an indie film called Bubba Ho-Tep that's playing on the North Side that I want to see. It sounds really interesting, check out the premise:
Based on the Bram Stoker Award nominee short story by cult author Joe R. Lansdale, Bubba Ho-tep tells the "true" story of what really did become of Elvis Presley. We find Elvis (Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his "death", then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack (Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds.
Doesn't this sound like the bee's knees? Ossie Davis plays John F. Kennedy! To iterate: Ossie Davis is a black man! So Bruce Campbell (of Evil Dead fame, which is yet another movie to see) is going to be there Friday night to do Q&A, which I'll probably miss, but I'd really like to catch a screening of it Sunday. Unfortunately, I have an annoying little Beowulf essay to write. So close to the city, and yet so far! I need to get off campus!
This suddenly reminds me, I remember working on it one Saturday, and Jonathan Layer was there for a reason I can't recall, and there was also a TV crew from Nickelodeon who happened to be there, because Mr. Smitherman is in something adjacent to television, and the Nickelodeon people were doing short interviews with 8-12 year-old kids about their reactions to September 11, and they were using the barn in which we were working as a backdrop. I haven't thougt of that in 2 years.
Anyway... this weekend I'm gonna see me some movies! I'm catching a late show of Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman tonight at DOC. Friday night is the screening of Pirates at DOC, then Saturday is hopefully a double-feature of Intolerable Cruelty and Kill Bill. There's also a screening of an indie film called Bubba Ho-Tep that's playing on the North Side that I want to see. It sounds really interesting, check out the premise:
Based on the Bram Stoker Award nominee short story by cult author Joe R. Lansdale, Bubba Ho-tep tells the "true" story of what really did become of Elvis Presley. We find Elvis (Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his "death", then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack (Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds.
Doesn't this sound like the bee's knees? Ossie Davis plays John F. Kennedy! To iterate: Ossie Davis is a black man! So Bruce Campbell (of Evil Dead fame, which is yet another movie to see) is going to be there Friday night to do Q&A, which I'll probably miss, but I'd really like to catch a screening of it Sunday. Unfortunately, I have an annoying little Beowulf essay to write. So close to the city, and yet so far! I need to get off campus!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home