Wow-- an amazing night last night.
First, though, I wanted to mention Thursday night. The university set up a movie screen in one of the quads, and we all borrowed sleeping bags from our RH's and watched When Harry Met Sally in 45 degree weather. It was a great night; I'd forgotten how much I like that movie. It's one of those films that, if someone suggested watching it at a party, I would groan, but when I actually sat down to watch it, I would remember how good it is. Everyone was laughing and really into the movie; and when they showed or mentioned the University of Chicago on screen, the audience would cheer. It made me wish I was seeing it with Kristen. As for everyone else, I think a lot of guys got laid that night after their day-old girlfriends saw the movie.
But last night! The evening started with a stroll down Michigan Avenue and continued at a reception on the 94th floor of the John Hancock building: not the one they go to in Ferris Bueller, but no less breath-taking of a view. The university had catered a buttload of fancy breads and cheeses, so we heaped our plates and made a free dinner out of it.
Afterwards, we caught the Red Line up to Clark and Belmont where we encountered the exiting traffic from Wrigley Field. In case you hadn't heard, the Cubs clenched the Central Division yesterday afternoon: we're going to the playoffs, baby. Some of you may not realize what a historic event this is; and I was at the epicenter of it. The streets were packed with fans stopping traffic; random people were high-fiving me, and total strangers were hugging each other on the sidewalks. I took some time to make an orbit around the outside of Wrigley Field to absorb the moment.
Yeah, those are the pictures, bitches. Outside the stadium were local news crews interviewing fans, passersby, a program vendor who's worked at Wrigley Field for 40 years. The sky was swarming with news helicopters. It was one of those magic moments I can tell my kids, or maybe not, maybe just cherish it and acknowledge the fact that I was there.
The real reason we were up in Wrigleyville, though, was to check out a show at Improv Olympic, which boasts alums like Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, Tim Meadows, Andy Dick, and the Upright Citizens Brigade. The only bad thing about the show was the fact that I left with the knowledge that I will never be as funny as the weakest member of Improv Olympic. I was sick with laughter through the whole thing. The show was called "Whirled News Tonight," the concept being that the dozen or so actors would improvise skits around news articles that the audience had cut out and posted on the stage's bulletin board prior to the show. The articles used ranged from "Jewish People are the Real Superheroes" to "Terrorists Caught Using Internet Cafe." One memorable bit that was grown out of an article on author George Plimpton's death featured a football huddle with Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest Hemingway, David and Amy Sedaris, and J.D. Salinger; another had Eric Bana hulking-out after finding The Hulk pirated online. I realize that I sound like an idiot trying to recreate improv sketches on my blog, but it's just because, if there was any doubt in my mind before, I am now consumately in love with improv comedy.
After the show, there were still hundreds of Cubs fans spilling out of the sports bars on North Clark, including the Billy Goat Tavern, birthplace of the famous SNL "Cheeburger Cheeburger" skit. And on the train ride back, three of us discovered that we'd all read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and loved it. It was a nice bit of karma to end the evening.
I'm waiting for a nice sunny fall day to take some pictures of my campus to show you guys; I'd really like to show it off. In the meantime, I have classes starting tomorrow, which I am no longer looking forward to.
And why does Billy Joel's "Lullaby (Goodnight my Angel)" have to be so sad? Because I wouldn't have it any other way.
First, though, I wanted to mention Thursday night. The university set up a movie screen in one of the quads, and we all borrowed sleeping bags from our RH's and watched When Harry Met Sally in 45 degree weather. It was a great night; I'd forgotten how much I like that movie. It's one of those films that, if someone suggested watching it at a party, I would groan, but when I actually sat down to watch it, I would remember how good it is. Everyone was laughing and really into the movie; and when they showed or mentioned the University of Chicago on screen, the audience would cheer. It made me wish I was seeing it with Kristen. As for everyone else, I think a lot of guys got laid that night after their day-old girlfriends saw the movie.
But last night! The evening started with a stroll down Michigan Avenue and continued at a reception on the 94th floor of the John Hancock building: not the one they go to in Ferris Bueller, but no less breath-taking of a view. The university had catered a buttload of fancy breads and cheeses, so we heaped our plates and made a free dinner out of it.
Afterwards, we caught the Red Line up to Clark and Belmont where we encountered the exiting traffic from Wrigley Field. In case you hadn't heard, the Cubs clenched the Central Division yesterday afternoon: we're going to the playoffs, baby. Some of you may not realize what a historic event this is; and I was at the epicenter of it. The streets were packed with fans stopping traffic; random people were high-fiving me, and total strangers were hugging each other on the sidewalks. I took some time to make an orbit around the outside of Wrigley Field to absorb the moment.
Yeah, those are the pictures, bitches. Outside the stadium were local news crews interviewing fans, passersby, a program vendor who's worked at Wrigley Field for 40 years. The sky was swarming with news helicopters. It was one of those magic moments I can tell my kids, or maybe not, maybe just cherish it and acknowledge the fact that I was there.
The real reason we were up in Wrigleyville, though, was to check out a show at Improv Olympic, which boasts alums like Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, Tim Meadows, Andy Dick, and the Upright Citizens Brigade. The only bad thing about the show was the fact that I left with the knowledge that I will never be as funny as the weakest member of Improv Olympic. I was sick with laughter through the whole thing. The show was called "Whirled News Tonight," the concept being that the dozen or so actors would improvise skits around news articles that the audience had cut out and posted on the stage's bulletin board prior to the show. The articles used ranged from "Jewish People are the Real Superheroes" to "Terrorists Caught Using Internet Cafe." One memorable bit that was grown out of an article on author George Plimpton's death featured a football huddle with Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest Hemingway, David and Amy Sedaris, and J.D. Salinger; another had Eric Bana hulking-out after finding The Hulk pirated online. I realize that I sound like an idiot trying to recreate improv sketches on my blog, but it's just because, if there was any doubt in my mind before, I am now consumately in love with improv comedy.
After the show, there were still hundreds of Cubs fans spilling out of the sports bars on North Clark, including the Billy Goat Tavern, birthplace of the famous SNL "Cheeburger Cheeburger" skit. And on the train ride back, three of us discovered that we'd all read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and loved it. It was a nice bit of karma to end the evening.
I'm waiting for a nice sunny fall day to take some pictures of my campus to show you guys; I'd really like to show it off. In the meantime, I have classes starting tomorrow, which I am no longer looking forward to.
And why does Billy Joel's "Lullaby (Goodnight my Angel)" have to be so sad? Because I wouldn't have it any other way.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home