Saturday, September 27, 2003

So I'm feeling lonely this morning and homesick. And I can't get used to the time and pace of college life. I feel like I've been here an eternity, and it's only a week. The days are so dense with stuff. I mean, my suitemate has already had sex with some random chick he hooked up with; she's always coming around looking for him. I'm not sure I want classes to start; I'm afraid of my General Chemistry class which I have in some form every day of the week.

I went to a University Theater mixer yesterday, and it's actually mustered a lot of enthusiasm in me. Because the drama department doesn't actually offer a major, only interdisciplinary studies with humanities, there aren't really any shows here that are solely theater-major projects. As a result, everybody involved in UT studies myriad subjects, but acts/directs on the side because they enjoy it as a hobby. From what I can tell, there's no elite, self-contained group of good 'ol boys hogging the roles; not only do they want to give first-years lots of parts, they want to be our friends.

I'm also considering this improv group more and more. One of the guys I talked to described it like it was the Peace Corps (sans Malaria): basically, you serve a term of "duty" for a year and a quarter where you undergo training and eventually perform on a regular weekly basis; after which, you have all kinds of talent and connections like internships at Second City.

Today is supposed to be "Experience Chicago Day," and even though I signed up to take an architectural tour over the summer, I don't really feel like getting on a boat in the river and having to meet all new people. I'd really just like to sit in a quad and read all day, but I know I'd begin suffering from social guilt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home