I have a serious problem.
It’s two weeks before I leave for school, and I can’t find Wallace and Gromit’s “A Close Shave.” I have “A Grand Day Out” and “The Wrong Trousers” secure in the Trilogy Box, but let's be honest: “A Close Shave” is the best one. I’ve turned the house on its side looking for it, and even my family has gotten into the act. If you went to middle school with me, you understand the unacceptability of leaving home without my W&G-dawgs.
The search was prompted by me getting in gear with packing. Despite the departure date being well in the future, I'm beginning to pick out books, movies, posters, and various other trinkets that I'm taking with me. Selection is difficult.
I'm bringing a ridiculous amount of books: 2003 Aerie, Calvin & Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995, The Stories of Ray Bradbury, The Poetry of Robert Frost, On the Road, Peanuts: A Golden Celebration, William Shakespeare: The Complete Works, A Patriot's Handbook, Kavalier & Clay, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Zen &... Motorcycle Maintenance, The Sketch Book (Washington Irving), Raise... Roofbeams & Seymour (Salinger), and Strunk & White's Elements of Style. Is 15 an exorbitant amount (non-rhetorical)? I feel like it isn't, and I never realized how dear my books are to me until I was forced to pick-and-choose. I don't think I'm even bringing 15 DVD's, come to think of it.
The collection of wall decor I'm bringing is also rather large. I'm somewhat obsessive about posters; until a year or two ago, I would spend ridiculous amounts of money on movie one-sheets, modern art reprints, and band photos, plus extra time cutting and pasting magazine ads/articles for display. If I ever have my own classroom, rest assured that it will match, if not top, Jim's collection. So far I'm bringing a Beatles 'Revolver' poster I bought in London, a Miles Davis poster, an old Star Wars reprint, possibly a Grant Wood "American Gothic" reprint, and two new items I bought yesterday at Media Play: a "Breakfast Club" one-sheet like Robby has and a sweet-ass "Nightmare Before Christmas." And I fully expect to buy 10 more upon arrival.
I also have a French Bart Simpson postcard which Kristen mailed me a couple of years ago from France which I plan to display. I found it by going through boxes of old middle school/ early high school junk. I found the ticket stub to my first concert (Squirrel Nut Zippers at the Tabernacle), an old Academic Bowl Tournament sticker (1998 Knowlege Master Open), and several old photos. It made me remember how obsessed I was with pop culture clutter; really how fascinated and excited I was by music and movies. I guess I'm still obsessed with pop culture, but it's tainted now by irony and kitsch and self-awareness. It was pure back then.
I've checked Best Buy, Media Play, and Fye, and no sign of Wallace & Gromit. They're not even selling the whole box set anymore. It's a sad day when your childhood ceases to be marketable.
It’s two weeks before I leave for school, and I can’t find Wallace and Gromit’s “A Close Shave.” I have “A Grand Day Out” and “The Wrong Trousers” secure in the Trilogy Box, but let's be honest: “A Close Shave” is the best one. I’ve turned the house on its side looking for it, and even my family has gotten into the act. If you went to middle school with me, you understand the unacceptability of leaving home without my W&G-dawgs.
The search was prompted by me getting in gear with packing. Despite the departure date being well in the future, I'm beginning to pick out books, movies, posters, and various other trinkets that I'm taking with me. Selection is difficult.
I'm bringing a ridiculous amount of books: 2003 Aerie, Calvin & Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995, The Stories of Ray Bradbury, The Poetry of Robert Frost, On the Road, Peanuts: A Golden Celebration, William Shakespeare: The Complete Works, A Patriot's Handbook, Kavalier & Clay, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Zen &... Motorcycle Maintenance, The Sketch Book (Washington Irving), Raise... Roofbeams & Seymour (Salinger), and Strunk & White's Elements of Style. Is 15 an exorbitant amount (non-rhetorical)? I feel like it isn't, and I never realized how dear my books are to me until I was forced to pick-and-choose. I don't think I'm even bringing 15 DVD's, come to think of it.
The collection of wall decor I'm bringing is also rather large. I'm somewhat obsessive about posters; until a year or two ago, I would spend ridiculous amounts of money on movie one-sheets, modern art reprints, and band photos, plus extra time cutting and pasting magazine ads/articles for display. If I ever have my own classroom, rest assured that it will match, if not top, Jim's collection. So far I'm bringing a Beatles 'Revolver' poster I bought in London, a Miles Davis poster, an old Star Wars reprint, possibly a Grant Wood "American Gothic" reprint, and two new items I bought yesterday at Media Play: a "Breakfast Club" one-sheet like Robby has and a sweet-ass "Nightmare Before Christmas." And I fully expect to buy 10 more upon arrival.
I also have a French Bart Simpson postcard which Kristen mailed me a couple of years ago from France which I plan to display. I found it by going through boxes of old middle school/ early high school junk. I found the ticket stub to my first concert (Squirrel Nut Zippers at the Tabernacle), an old Academic Bowl Tournament sticker (1998 Knowlege Master Open), and several old photos. It made me remember how obsessed I was with pop culture clutter; really how fascinated and excited I was by music and movies. I guess I'm still obsessed with pop culture, but it's tainted now by irony and kitsch and self-awareness. It was pure back then.
I've checked Best Buy, Media Play, and Fye, and no sign of Wallace & Gromit. They're not even selling the whole box set anymore. It's a sad day when your childhood ceases to be marketable.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home