Friday, September 19, 2003

Hey.

I'm in Sterling, Illinois right now, which is not the same as the fiery pits from which Sterling Metz was spawned, but instead a tiny little town in the northwestern part of the state where my grandparents live. My parents and I left around 11 am yesterday morning, and we drove straight through the southern ass tip of Illinois, ran into road construction at 9pm in Bloomington, and arrived just before midnight.

We're staying here today, Friday, and driving into the city tomorrow morning for move-in day. This was my idea, actually. For some reason I wanted a transition day at my grandparents house; I think it's because it makes me feel comfortable for at least 2 nights in my new (US) state. And it does, I guess. There's still the kid in me that believes this is the safest place in the world. I won't go into sensory details, because everyone has little things they love about their grandparents' houses that just sound like nostalgic babble when verbalized. Quothe Grady Tripp, "It's the kind of place you'd like to wake up in on Christmas morning." Unless your grandparents are dead or Jewish.

I think we arrived here on the cusp of autumn, because yesterday was like 80º, but this morning it's gray and a chilly 50º.

Why do I talk about the weather?

Tomorrow I think I have to get up early. This I'm dreading. When I'm groggy and nervous, I just whack out. All I'm hoping for tomorrow is that I don't whack out.

Five minutes after leaving home yesterday, we stopped at a light behind a landscaping truck that had one of the those road signs tagged on the back that reads "Moving Ahead." And I was like, wow, what a great cosmic sign. That's right, I'm moving ahead, to a new state, to new friends, to a new life.

And then I looked again, and it said "Mowing Ahead."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home