Saturday, August 09, 2003

There's a thread on the UC message board that examines the similarities between the University of Chicago and Hogwart's. Here are a few magical traits of my college:

1. Chicago students are separated and live together within "houses"-- like Gryffindor, Slytherin, etc.-- which oftentimes have their own mascots and compete against one another in intramural sports. We also have "house tables."
2. The mascot is the phoenix, just like Dumbledore's.
3. The school colors are maroon, just like Gryffindor colors.
4. Freshmen are referred to as "first years."
5. One kid said the city of Chicago was like the forbidden forest. That was kinda lame; although when I stayed there, I was told never ever to venture west of campus into the projects.
6. Numerous gargoyles, plus the omnipresent gothic architecture.
7. My dining hall:


Ya like that, bitch?

I think that what all of this-- this blog-- really means is that I'm getting more and more excited about college everyday, and I'm on my way to no longer viewing the next step as a step backwards. I think what I fear the most now is the cynicism of college; I don't want four years of dry irony, I want to fall in love with something again.

In the meantime, Ben Folds has become the songsmith of my last summer after high school. So much so that I coerced Kristen into buying his first self-titled album today. Muah ha. Heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home