At this stage, the only reason I really want to get off to college is because there's virtually nothing left for me here. Thomas will leave sooner than we expected, the parents are gone until 6 everyday anyway, and the jun- I mean seniors- I would love to hang out with, but you know, they're wrapped up in their senior year of high school right now, and their paths are going to rapidly diverge from ours.
Jason and I visited school yesterday, and there was the expected awkwardness of being the creepy college guy who comes back to hit on the upperclassmen. Well, I didn't exactly do that, but that's what it always looked like to me when those kids came in, and I'm sure it did to you too. Thank you very much, John Schippert.
I didn't get a feeling of superiority being at Milton like I've heard is normal. I don't look at high school as a road block that I had to tolerate until college, and I don't pretend that I'm better than it just because I have a diploma. Mostly I felt in the way. It seems that when graduates visit, the visits are all for the benefit of them, and they strut into the room like "Look at me, I'm hot shit. Stop the class, Ms. Serkedakis, lemme give the kids a real lesson." It's standard adolescent perspective that the teachers' lives revolve around us, but I don't think that teachers care about us as much as we like to believe.
So to conclude, no more classroom visits, at least not during school. Jason and I did leave with these two sound pieces of college advice from Mr. Wade, though:
Mr. Wade: Two things are all you need to know to get through college. One: never let your studies interfere with your education. Two: Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
I was partly surprised and partly honored that Mr. Wade dropped the F-bomb on us, and I will take the words to heart.
But bringing this truck back around, I've been meeting a good number of UChicago students over the message boards they have set up for incoming freshmen, and I'm finding that a terrible portion of the population consists of giant assholes. Or kids that think way too highly of themselves, and not in an ironic-self-conscious manner that our friend Glenn patented. I've also decided that I don't like debates or debating, and I'm much happier when everyone is in a group getting along. I feel this may become problematic at college, where the social life seems built on the spirit of debate.
The only thing that's gotten me pepped about college (and it takes a good deal of effort to "pep" me up about anything, so potential peppers please don't be put out) is Daniel's blog about the Hedwig and Rocky show. Even though I would faint at a Rocky show and I would hate to live in New York, it made me wish for a good 5 minutes that I'd matriculated to NYU.
So today is Movie Day with Mom. I suspect there will be many Mom Days to come this month. I'm pepped.
Jason and I visited school yesterday, and there was the expected awkwardness of being the creepy college guy who comes back to hit on the upperclassmen. Well, I didn't exactly do that, but that's what it always looked like to me when those kids came in, and I'm sure it did to you too. Thank you very much, John Schippert.
I didn't get a feeling of superiority being at Milton like I've heard is normal. I don't look at high school as a road block that I had to tolerate until college, and I don't pretend that I'm better than it just because I have a diploma. Mostly I felt in the way. It seems that when graduates visit, the visits are all for the benefit of them, and they strut into the room like "Look at me, I'm hot shit. Stop the class, Ms. Serkedakis, lemme give the kids a real lesson." It's standard adolescent perspective that the teachers' lives revolve around us, but I don't think that teachers care about us as much as we like to believe.
So to conclude, no more classroom visits, at least not during school. Jason and I did leave with these two sound pieces of college advice from Mr. Wade, though:
Mr. Wade: Two things are all you need to know to get through college. One: never let your studies interfere with your education. Two: Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
I was partly surprised and partly honored that Mr. Wade dropped the F-bomb on us, and I will take the words to heart.
But bringing this truck back around, I've been meeting a good number of UChicago students over the message boards they have set up for incoming freshmen, and I'm finding that a terrible portion of the population consists of giant assholes. Or kids that think way too highly of themselves, and not in an ironic-self-conscious manner that our friend Glenn patented. I've also decided that I don't like debates or debating, and I'm much happier when everyone is in a group getting along. I feel this may become problematic at college, where the social life seems built on the spirit of debate.
The only thing that's gotten me pepped about college (and it takes a good deal of effort to "pep" me up about anything, so potential peppers please don't be put out) is Daniel's blog about the Hedwig and Rocky show. Even though I would faint at a Rocky show and I would hate to live in New York, it made me wish for a good 5 minutes that I'd matriculated to NYU.
So today is Movie Day with Mom. I suspect there will be many Mom Days to come this month. I'm pepped.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home