Sunday, July 27, 2003

PHANTASTIC!

I made myself a promise that I wouldn't describe the Phish concert as "phantasic," but the god of cliched writing was too easily invoked.

So yeah, the show was hellagood. Likewise with Thomas, their second set lost me a little bit, and I think even the potheads were getting bored of a 30-minute jam. Of course, there was always enough sight-seeing to occupy my time: dancing at a Phish concert looks eerily similar to the Peanuts kids in A Charlie Brown Christmas. One of the best parts, I think, was the 3.5-hour drive up to Charlotte, NC, and our stay in the very-ghetto-Super 8 motel (oh, ambiguous 8, and its accomplice, Motel 6). We also discovered one of the best movies we've never seen, Adventures in Babysitting, which actually depicts my adolescent view of life with uncomfortable accuracy. A plus: one of the characters is a preppy-looking Jeep Wrangler-riding UChicago student who helps the heroes out of a jam (What's a $50 giveaway to a damsel-in-distress out of $40K tuition?).

I've spent the evening flipping through the UC course catalog and getting an idea of what I want to register for in September. Believe it or not, I was indignant when it recommended that only bio majors take the AP Fundamental Sequence, which is awarded if you scored a 5 on the AP test. OK, so I know I'm probably (probably, young squire) never going into the sciences, but I feel like I should use my Dr. Adams-given knowledge for a course that's a little better than "Evolution is Interesting 101." I'm going to this school for a reason-- to take classes I'll never need in the real world.

What is that, by the way?

Oh, and Thomas--- I found the set list.

Set I: Funky Bitch, Chalkdust Torture, Two Versions of Me, Bathtub Gin, Limb By Limb, Back On The Train, Horn, Golgi Apparatus> Character Zero
Set II: Drowned> Kung, Twist> Heavy Things, Harry Hood> David Bowie
Encore: Star Spangled-Banner (a cappella), Bug


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home