Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Well, I guess I'm a "Dawg" now, or at least a prospective one. UGA admitted me, in anti-climactic fashion, via a little webpage with an animated firework image. Higher edge-uh-mucation, here I come. NYU? Chicago? It's crunch time, boys.

I used to wonder why I didn't have any teachers who went to big-name private schools or Ivy Leagues or elite liberal arts colleges. It's because, even if graduates of those institutions wanted to enter the public school education system, the shoddy wages we pay to teachers makes it impossible to pay off the student loans and tuition from those schools. Not that our teachers are uneducated, but I wonder how many of them turned down a higher-priced and, perhaps, higher-quality college choice in exchange for $42,000 a year and bus duty after school.

With that, I give you this statistic: the average American spends 99 hours a year reading, compared to the 1,590 hours they spend watching television. Sorry, Mr. Checkhov, but... it looks like Ross and Rachel might be finally getting together for real tonight.
I probably won't be blogging very often these next two weeks... I've been having trouble getting some personal creative projects off the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home