SO...
I think New York University is f*cking with my mind.
Yesterday, my sister took a message from one Marc Lieberman, NYU professor of economics, who said something to the extent of, "Congratulations, you're on a list of accepted students I was given, e-mail me if you have any questions about NYU." I asked my sister fourteen times if he actually said the words, Drew Dir has been accepted to NYU. I mean, why would the admissions office get a random professor to call a prospective student to inform him of his acceptance 2 weeks before the decision date? It suggests a promiscuity unbecoming of a university like NYU.
So I e-mail Prof. Lieberman, asked him some questions about the university, and also asked if I had, indeed, been accepted. This was his reply:
"You haven’t been “officially” accepted yet, in the sense of receiving formal notification. But the fact that you were on a short list of names for me to contact means the University considers you an outstanding student, so your notification of admission should arrive soon."
I haven't been officially accepted... and yet, the use of the word yet implies that they are inevitably going to accept me. And what does "notification of admission" really mean? Notifications can be either positive or negative. The university considers me an outstanding student? What the hell?; my grandmother considers me an outstanding student. Under a microscope, this statement could go either way. I'm banking on the assumption that NYU is not going to dangle that little carrot of hope just out of reach of their rejected students before they yank it away on April 1.
Chalk this one up under "cautious optimism." I won't believe it until I see it in writing.
I think New York University is f*cking with my mind.
Yesterday, my sister took a message from one Marc Lieberman, NYU professor of economics, who said something to the extent of, "Congratulations, you're on a list of accepted students I was given, e-mail me if you have any questions about NYU." I asked my sister fourteen times if he actually said the words, Drew Dir has been accepted to NYU. I mean, why would the admissions office get a random professor to call a prospective student to inform him of his acceptance 2 weeks before the decision date? It suggests a promiscuity unbecoming of a university like NYU.
So I e-mail Prof. Lieberman, asked him some questions about the university, and also asked if I had, indeed, been accepted. This was his reply:
"You haven’t been “officially” accepted yet, in the sense of receiving formal notification. But the fact that you were on a short list of names for me to contact means the University considers you an outstanding student, so your notification of admission should arrive soon."
I haven't been officially accepted... and yet, the use of the word yet implies that they are inevitably going to accept me. And what does "notification of admission" really mean? Notifications can be either positive or negative. The university considers me an outstanding student? What the hell?; my grandmother considers me an outstanding student. Under a microscope, this statement could go either way. I'm banking on the assumption that NYU is not going to dangle that little carrot of hope just out of reach of their rejected students before they yank it away on April 1.
Chalk this one up under "cautious optimism." I won't believe it until I see it in writing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home